Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Flames Defeated by Buccaneers in Conference Match-up, 5-2
Both teams were forced to contend with weather on the day, as the frequent rain showers forced multiple delays throughout the match. Despite the stoppages, all of the afternoon's scheduled play was completed.
The match began with the Buccaneers capturing all three doubles matches to claim the opening point.
In singles play, Liberty recorded a victory at No. 1, as Jarda Trojan captured a three-set win over Charleston Southern's Quentin Guichard. The Flames were also successful at No. 3 singles, as Sebastian Pena prevailed in his third consecutive individual contest. The junior defeated the Buccaneers' Chris Peek in a three-set battle. Despite the wins of Trojan and Pena, Charleston Southern was able to capture wins at No.'s 2, 4, 5 and 6 to ensure victory.
Liberty's record after the match now stands at 3-13 overall and 0-5 in the Big South. The Flames return to action on Tuesday as they continue conference play by hosting the Panthers of High Point. Match time at the Esbenshade-Hershey Tennis Courts is scheduled for 1:30 p.m.
1. Lee Schutte/Jonathan Dean (CSU) def. Jarda Trojan/Chad Simpson (LU) – 8-6
2. Chris Peek/Steven Dean (CSU) def. Luis Olivera/Fabricio Picanco (LU) – 8-4
3. Babar Ali Khan Akbar/Quentin Guichard (CSU) def. Sebastian Pena/Juan Reyes (LU) – 8-2
1. Jarda Trojan (LU) def. Quentin Guichard (CSU) – 6-3, 6-7 (7-4), 6-1
2. Jonathan Dean (CSU) def. Chad Simpson (LU) – 6-4, 2-6, 6-1
3. Sebastian Pena (LU) def. Chris Peek (CSU) – 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
4. Steven Dean (CSU) def. Luis Olivera (LU) – 6-2, 6-0
5. Lee Schutte (CSU) def. Fabricio Picanco (LU) – 6-2, 6-3
6. Murat Atilla (CSU) def. Juan Reyes (LU) – 6-2, 6-1