Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
No. 3 Seed Flames Upset by No. 6 Seed Coastal Carolina, 4-0
Playing as the No. 3 seed for the first time in program history, the Liberty men's tennis team challenged rival and No. 6 seed Coastal Carolina in the quarterfinals of the Big South Men's Tennis Championship on Thursday afternoon at the Webb Tennis Complex. After winning the doubles point, the Chanticleers pulled out victories in the No. 3, 5 and 6 singles positions to down the Flames, 4-0.
Liberty finishes its season at 12-10, marking the fourth time in the last six seasons that the Flames have concluded the year with a winning record. Coastal Carolina improves to 13-9 and advances to tomorrow's semifinals where it will face No. 2 seed Winthrop.
Coastal Carolina tallied the first point of the afternoon with wins in the top two doubles positions. At No. 2, Garik Yedigarian and Renan Samed ousted Liberty's Stan Vaughan and Alejandro Llamas, 8-3. Philipp Tsangaridis and Leo Christofides followed with an 8-4 defeat of the Flames' Dillon Segur and Egon Samaai in the No. 1 spot.
Coastal Carolina upped its advantage to 3-0 with a pair of wins to open singles play. At No 6, Hunter Whalen downed Llamas, 6-0, 6-1, before Christofides defeated Vaughan, 6-4, 6-1, in the No. 5 position.
The Chanticleers closed out the 4-0 victory with a win in a tight contest on court No. 3. Yedigarian jumped out to a one-set lead and held a 5-1 advantage in the second frame over Azuero. The Liberty junior rallied to tie the contest at 6-6, but fell in a tiebreak, 7-2, as Yedigarian earned the win.
The remaining three singles matches were ruled unfinished with the Flames leading in the No. 1 and No. 3 positions and the Chanticleers ahead at No. 4.
The contest served as the final match for Liberty seniors Shea Thomas and Stan Vaughan. Thomas finishes his career as the Flames' all-time leader in doubles victories with 82 and second on the all-time singles listing with 73.
Coastal Carolina 4, Liberty 0
1. Philipp Tsangaridis/Leo Christofides (CCU) def. Dillon Segur/Egon Samaai (LU), 8-4
2. Garik Yedigarian/Renan Samed (CCU) def. Stan Vaughan/Alejandro Llamas (LU), 8-3
3. Shea Thomas/Guillem Secanell (LU) vs. Ted Nilsson/Jabor Al-Mutawa (CCU), 5-4 unfinished
1. Shea Thomas (LU) def. Philipp Tsangaridis (CCU), 6-4, 5-4 unfinished
2. Egon Samaai (LU) vs. Ted Nilsson (CCU), 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 unfinished
3. Garik Yedigarian (CCU) def. Jorge Azuero (LU), 6-1, 7-6 (7-2)
4. Dillon Segur (LU) vs. Renan Samed (CCU), 6-1, 1-6, 1-4 unfinished
5. Leo Christofides (CCU) def. Stan Vaughan (LU), 6-4, 6-1
6. Hunter Whalen (CCU) def. Alejandro Llamas (LU), 6-0, 6-1