Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty Visits Gardner-Webb for Big South Road Series
NO. 30 LIBERTY AT GARDNER-WEBB
John Henry Moss Stadium
Boiling Springs, N.C.
Thursday - 6 p.m.
Friday - 6 p.m.
Saturday - 2 p.m.
Complete Baseball Notes
Video Streaming (Thursday & Saturday):Big South Network
Liberty Flames Sports Network Coverage
Radio Broadcast: Thursday 90.9 FM "The Light"
Saturday Victory Radio Network
• Liberty enters this weekend's three-game series with a 29-9 overall record and a 14-1 mark in Big South play. The Flames have won 15 out of their last 17 games.
• The Flames appeared for the first time in program history in a national poll during the regular season on Monday. Liberty was ranked No. 30 in the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) weekly baseball poll.
• Liberty swept a three-game Big South series from Longwood, last weekend. The Flames sit atop the conference's North Division standings with a 14-1 record. The mark is the best conference start in program history.
• Liberty has won 12 straight Big South Conference games, a program record.
• Liberty is 8-2 during the month of April. The Flames have posted a 68-52 (.567) mark during Head Coach Jim Toman's tenure during the month.
• Liberty is 13-5 on the road this season. The Flames have won 10 of their last 11 road contests.
• The Flames lead the Big South Conference with a .297 team batting average and a 2.53 team ERA. Beginning the week, Liberty ranked 25th nationally in batting average and 13th in ERA.
• Liberty is averaging 6.5 runs per game, while allowing its opponents 3.1 runs per game.
• Liberty head coach Jim Toman recorded his 250th career victory, last Friday. He is only the second Liberty head coach to win 250 games.
• 2B Ryan Seiz hit his 10th home run of the season, Monday vs. Virginia Tech. He leads the Big South with 10 home runs.
• Seiz hit .583 with two home runs, nine runs scored and four RBIs in three games at Longwood, last weekend.
• Seiz also leads the Big South in batting average, RBIs, on base percentage, slugging percentage and total bases.
• OF Andrew Yacyk had two hits including a home run, Monday vs. Virginia Tech. Yacyk's two-run home run in the fifth inning was his third of the year.
• 1B Alex Close is second in the Big South with 32 RBIs and fifth with a .518 slugging percentage. He is tied with teammate Danny Grauer for fifth in the conference with five home runs.
• C Danny Grauer hit a three-run home run, his fifth home run of the season, in a 6-1 win at Longwood, this past Sunday.
• Grauer is tied for fifth in home runs. He is tied for fourth in RBIs (29) and is 10th in slugging percentage. (.481) in the Big South Conference.
• DH Becker Sankey hit his first home run of the season, this past Friday night at Longwood. Sankey drove in seven runs in four games last week.
• SS Dalton Britt has at least one hit in his last eight games and one in 18 out of his last 19.
• Britt is seventh in the Big South Conference in hits and ninth in RBIs.
• RHP Parker Bean has been named the Big South Pitcher of the Week and earned Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week honors for March 31-April 6.
• Bean pitched his first complete game in Liberty's 6-1 over Longwood, this past Sunday. He did not allow a hit until the fifth and struck out 11 batters.
• Bean is tied for second in the Big South Conference in wins and is ninth in ERA. He leads the Flames and is tied for sixth in the conference in strikeouts.
• Fellow Liberty RHP Trey Lambert leads the conference with eight wins. Lambert recorded his eighth consecutive win in 10-4 win over Longwood, last Friday.
• Lambert leads the Big South Conference in wins. He ranks fifth in innings pitched (63.1) and seventh in ERA (2.27).
Pitching Making Mark
• Liberty entered the week with the sixth-best winning percentage in the nation (28-8, .784). The Flames' mound corps has been a key element for Head Coach Jim Toman's team by making things tough for the opposition, this season.
• The Flames enter the weekend with a Big South-leading 2.53 ERA. Liberty entered the week with a 2.44 ERA, ranking 13th nationally.
• Liberty pitching also ranks fifth nationally with eight shutouts. The Flames recorded six consecutive shutouts in Big South contests from March 28 - April 6. Liberty did not
allow a run in a sweep of a three-game series at Presbyterian College, March 28-30, and during a three-game sweep of a series against VMI at Liberty Baseball Stadium, April 4-6.
• Liberty pitching has held opponents to .221 batting average and is allowing its
opponents 3.1 runs per game in 2014. Over Liberty's last 30 games, the Flames have held opponents to a .203 batting average and allowed 2.1 runs per game.
• Liberty senior right-hander Trey Lambert not only leads the Big South with an 8-1 record, but is second in the nation in victories.
Toman Notches 250
• Liberty head coach Jim Toman recorded career win 250 with Liberty's 10-4 victory at Longwood, last Friday night.
• In seven years, Toman has compiled a 252-146-1 career record with a .633 winning percentage.
• Toman has recorded the best winning NCAA Division I winning percentage and best Big South Conference mark of any coach in school history.
• Toman is one of only two Liberty coaches to win over 200 games in program history. He joins program founder Al Worthington, who posted 343 victories during 13 seasons as the Flames head coach.
Flames Clubhouse Report
• Join the Liberty Flames Sports Network's Nick Pierce each week for a look at Flames Baseball.
• The audio show is available at LibertyFlames.com each week throughout the season.
• Pierce, who brings you all the action of Liberty Flames baseball, takes a look back at the previous week, along with comments from Liberty head coach Jim Toman and key Flames.