Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty to Host Virginia Tech and James Madison
VIRGINIA TECH AT LIBERTY
April 14 - 7 p.m.
Liberty Baseball Stadium
JAMES MADISON AT LIBERTY
April 15 - 6 p.m.
Liberty Baseball Stadium
Television (Monday -Tuesday): ESPN3/Liberty Flames Sports Network (LFSN)
Video Stream: Big South Network
Radio Broadcast (Monday): 90.9 FM "The Light"
• Liberty enters the week with a 29-8 overall record. The Flames have won seven in a row and 15 out of their last 16 games.
• Liberty swept a three-game Big South series from Longwood, this past weekend. The Flames sit atop the conference's North Division standings with a 14-1 record. The mark is the best conference start in program history.
• Liberty has won 12 straight Big South Conference games, a program record.
• Last Tuesday, Liberty defeated Richmond, 10-7, at Liberty Baseball Stadium. With the win, Liberty moves to 6-2 in midweek contests.
• The Flames are 16-3 at home this season. Liberty has won eight straight games at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
• Liberty is 8-1 during the month of April.
• The Flames lead the Big South Conference with a .299 team batting average and a 2.49 team ERA.
• Liberty head coach Jim Toman recorded his 250th career victory, Friday. He is only the second Liberty head coach to win 250 games.
• 2B Ryan Seiz posted his ninth three-hit game of season, Sunday at Longwood. Seiz leads the Flames with 19 multi-hit games.
• Seiz hit .583 with two home runs, nine runs scored and four RBIs in three games at Longwood, this past weekend. He leads the Big South with nine home runs.
• Seiz also leads the Big South in batting average (.421), RBIs (35), on base percentage (.506), slugging percentage (.724) and total bases (105).
• 1B Alex Close has reached base in 28 consecutive games.
• Close is second in the Big South with 32 RBIs and fourth with a .548 slugging percentage.
• SS Dalton Britt has at least one hit in his last seven games and one in 17 out of his last 18.
• RHP Ashton Perritt is second in the Big South Conference lead with eight saves. Not only did he earn No. 8, but he also had two hits, scored two runs and drove in two runs in win over Richmond, last Tuesday.
• C Danny Grauer hit a three-run home run, his fifth home run of the season, in a 6-1 win at Longwood, Sunday.
• Grauer is tied for fifth in home runs (5). He is tied for fifth in RBIs (29) and is ninth in slugging percentage. (.489) in the Big South Conference.
• DH Becker Sankey hit his first home run of the season, Friday night at Longwood. Sankey drove in seven runs in four games this past week
.• RHP Parker Bean has been named the Big South Pitcher of the Week and earned Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week honors, last Monday.
• Bean pitched his first complete game in Liberty's 6-1 over Longwood, Sunday. He did not allow a hit until the fifth and struck out 11 batters.
• Bean is tied for second in the Big South Conference with six wins. He leads the Flames and is tied for sixth in the conference with 53 strikeouts.
• Bean came within two outs of a no-hitter in win over VMI, 4/6. The freshman right-hander struck out a career-high 16 batters and allowed only one batter to reach second base over 81/3 scoreless innings.
• Fellow Liberty RHP Trey Lambert leads the conference with eight wins. Lambert recorded his eighth consecutive win in 10-4 win over Longwood, Friday.
• Lambert pitched back-to-back shutouts against VMI, 4/4, and Presbyterian College, 3/28. The senior pitched a one-hit complete-game shutout at Presbyterian College, earning Big South Pitcher of the Week honors fro March 24-20.
• Lambert leads the Big South Conference in wins. He ranks fifth in innings pitched (63.1) and seventh in ERA (2.27).
• LHP Shawn Clowers moved to 4-0, pitching 5 1/3 innings of relief in win over Richmond, last Tuesday night. Clowers did give up his first earned runs of the year. The reliever did not
allow a run over his first 24 1/3 innings.
• Clowers was named the Big South Co-Pitcher of the Week for March 17-23. The reliever did not allow a run in 10 2/3 scoreless innings, recording two wins.
Toman Notches 250
• Liberty head coach Jim Toman recorded career win 250 with Liberty's 10-4 victory at Longwood, Friday night.
• In seven years, Toman has compiled a 252-145-1 career record with a .632 winning percentage.
• Toman has recorded the best winning NCAA Division I winning percentage and best Big South Conference mark of any coach in school history.
• Toman is one of only two Liberty coaches to win over 200 games in program history. He joins program founder Al Worthington, who posted 343 victories during 13 seasons as the Flames head coach.
Flames Clubhouse Report
• Join the Liberty Flames Sports Network's Nick Pierce each week for a look at Flames Baseball.
• The audio show is available at LibertyFlames.com each week throughout the season.
• Pierce, who brings you all the action of Liberty Flames baseball, takes a look back at the previous week, along with comments from Liberty head coach Jim Toman and key Flames.