Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Flames Downed by Chanticleers in Big South Contest
Coastal Carolina got off to a quick start by sweeping the doubles point, despite two of the three matches being decided by two points or less.
In singles action, the Chanticleers captured five of the six matches contested. The Flames recorded their victory at No. 3, as Sebastian Pena prevailed in a three-set contest. The win is Pena's second-consecutive triumph and the junior's fifth victory of the 2006-07 campaign. That total ties him with Chad Simpson for highest on the Liberty squad.
With the setback, the Flames' record now stands at 3-12 and 0-4 in the Big South. The Liberty men return to the courts on Sunday, when they host the Buccaneers of Charleston Southern in a Big South contest. Match time is scheduled for 1 p.m.
1. Simon Taylor/Andy Caress (CCU) def. Jarda Trojan/Chad Simpson (LU) – 8-6
2. Plamen Tzvetkov/Richard Redding (CCU) def. Luis Olivera/Fabricio Picanco (LU) – 8-4
3. Joseph Withers/David Mellis (CCU) def. Sebastian Pena/Juan Reyes (LU) – 8-7 (9-7)
1. David Mellis (CCU) def. Chad Simpson (LU) – 6-3, 6-3
2. Simon Taylor (CCU) def. Jarda Trojan (LU) – 6-3, 6-1
3. Sebastian Pena (LU) def. Richard Redding (CCU) – 2-6, 7-5, 6-1
4. Plamen Tzvetkov (CCU) def. Luis Olivera (LU) – 6-1, 6-1
5. Joseph Withers (CCU) def. Fabricio Picanco (LU) – 6-2, 6-2
6. Andy Caress (CCU) def. Juan Reyes (LU) – 6-3, 6-2