Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Lady Flames Roll Past Presbyterian College, 6-1
The Liberty women's tennis team collected its second Big South Conference win of the weekend, defeating the Presbyterian College Blue Hose, 6-1, this afternoon at the Templeton Tennis Courts.
With the victory, the Lady Flames' third in their last four matches, Liberty improves to 10-8 on the season and 5-2 in league contests. Presbyterian College falls to 8-12-1 overall and remains winless in Big South play at 0-6.
For the second straight match, Liberty swept through doubles play to take an early 1-0 lead. In the No. 1 position, Rebekah Jenkins and Maria Khval ousted Greer Ransom and Courtney Gardiner, 8-3, for their eighth win of the season.
In the No. 3 spot, Cameron Richard and Brittany Yang remained unbeaten in conference with an 8-6 defeat of Caroline deLoach and Caroline Ferrari to complete the sweep.
Liberty quickly sealed the win with three straight wins to open singles play. Jenkins breezed past Ferrari, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 3, before Khval posted her 11th victory of the year with a 6-1, 6-2 defeat of Gardiner in the No. 4 spot. Mariely Hassey delivered the clinching point with a 6-2, 6-3 straight-set win against deLoach, at No. 5.
The Lady Flames' Lauren Mabe extended Liberty's lead to 5-0 with a strong, 6-2, 6-4, win in the No. 6 position against Lucia Leahy.
After Alves ousted Rivera in three sets in the No. 2 spot, Yang closed the contest with a come-from-behind win in the top position. Yang matched Khval and Nicola Wellman's team-leading 11 wins with a 4-6, 7-6, 10-7, defeat of Ransom.
"It was extremely windy today, so we had the opportunity to fight through adversity and find a way to win when it's hard to play our best," stated Liberty head coach Jeff Maren. "Our goal today was to excel with our effort and our attitude. I believe we did pretty well in these areas."
The Lady Flames' next match is on Wednesday at Big South foe Radford. The match is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m.
Liberty 6, Presbyterian College 1
1. Rebekah Jenkins/Maria Khval (LU) def. Greer Ransom/Courtney Gardiner (PC), 8-3
2. Brittany Yang/Belen Rivera (LU) def. Patricia Alves/Kayla Stanford (PC), 8-2
3. Cameron Richard/Valerie Thong (LU) def. Caroline deLoach/Caroline Ferrari (PC), 8-6
1. Brittany Yang (LU) def. Greer Ransom (PC), 4-6, 7-6, 10-7
2. Patricia Alves (PC) def. Belen Rivera (LU), 4-6, 6-3, 10-1
3. Rebekah Jenkins (LU) def. Caroline Ferrari (PC), 6-1, 6-1
4. Maria Khval (LU) def. Courtney Gardiner (PC), 6-1, 6-2
5. Mariely Hassey (LU) def. Caroline deLoach (PC), 6-2, 6-3
6. Lauren Mabe (LU) def. Lucia Leahy (PC), 6-2, 6-4