Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Liberty Picks Up Road Win at North Carolina Central
The Liberty men's tennis team posted a strong performance in singles play, leading the visiting Flames to a 5-2 victory over the North Carolina Central Eagles on Thursday afternoon.
With the win, Liberty improves to 7-7 on the season and 3-0 all-time versus NCCU. The Eagles' three-match winning streak comes to an end as NCCU falls to 5-9 overall on the season.
The Eagles jumped out to a 1-0 advantage after claiming wins in the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles positions. Liberty's Egon Samaai and Dillon Segur collected an 8-5 victory against William East and Tamina Kienka at No. 2. The win improved Samaai and Segur to a team-best 6-3. Shea Thomas and Jorge Azuero fell to NCCU's Stephan Charles-Donatien and Daniil Gerasimov, 8-5, while Stan Vaughan and Alejandro Llamas were knocked off by the Eagles' Thomas Persico and Fabrice George, 8-6.
The Flames responded with wins in five of the six singles positions. Both Thomas and Samaai improved to 8-5 on the season with wins in the No. 1 and No. 3 spots, respectively. Thomas ousted Charles-Donatien, 6-1, 6-1, while Samaai defeated Kienka, 6-1, 6-2.
Llamas and Vaughan each improved to 6-7 on the season after posting straight-set victories for Liberty. Llamas, playing in the No. 4 position, beat George, 6-2, 6-1. Vaughan made quick work of East, defeating the Eagles' No. 5 player, 6-1, 6-1.
Liberty's Guillem Secanell earned a win at No. 6, defeating Persico in three sets, 4-6, 7-6 (7-5), 10-8, for his second victory of the year.
NCCU's lone singles' win came in the No. 2 position, when Gerasimov dealt Azuero a 6-4, 6-3 setback.
The Flames return to play on Saturday, welcoming Big South opponent Winthrop to the Hershey-Esbenshade Tennis Courts. Match time versus the Eagles is set for 2 p.m.
Liberty 5, NCCU 2
1. Stephan Charles-Donatien/Daniil Gerasimov (NCCU) def. Shea Thomas/Jorge Azuero (LU), 8-5
2. Egon Samaai/Dillon Segur (LU) def. William East/Tamina Kienka (NCCU), 8-5
3. Thomas Persico/Fabrice George (NCCU) def. Stan Vaughan/Alejandro Llamas (LU), 8-6
1. Shea Thomas (LU) def. Stephan Charles-Donatien (NCCU), 6-1, 6-1
2. Daniil Gerasimov (NCCU) def. Jorge Azuero (LU), 6-4, 6-3
3. Egon Samaai (LU) def. Tamina Kienka (NCCU), 6-1, 6-2
4. Alejandro Llamas (LU) def. Fabrice George (NCCU), 6-2, 6-1
5. Stan Vaughan (LU) def. William East (NCCU), 6-1, 6-1
6. Guillem Secanell (LU) def. Thomas Persico (NCCU), 4-6, 7-6 (7-5), 10-8