Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty Travels to Norfolk for Midweek Tilt at Old Dominion
LIBERTY AT OLD DOMINION
March 19 - 3 p.m.
Bud Metheny Baseball Complex
• Liberty enters Wednesday's contest having won a 11 out of its last 13 contests.
• In the month of March, Liberty has recorded a 10-2 mark (.833). The Flames are 389-296-2 (.573) all-time and 83-45 (.648) under seven-year head coach Jim Toman during the month.
• Liberty is tied for the Big South Conference lead with a .301 team batting average and leads the conference in runs scored with 136. The Flames rank 10th nationally in hits (227).
• The Flames had their season-high eight-game win streak snapped in the game two of their doubleheader with Campbell, 6-5, in 13 innings, Saturday at Liberty Baseball Stadium. The contest was the longest game of the season for the Flames in 2014.
• With win at Elon on March 11, the Flames moved their road record to 6-4 on the year. Liberty has won its last three road contests.
• During its eight-game win streak, Liberty's pitching staff posted a 1.22 ERA and allowed 1.62 runs per game. The Flames outscored its opponents during the span, 64-13.
• Over its last 13 games, Liberty pitching has allowed 25 runs (1.92 runs/game), posted a 1.61 ERA and held its opponents to a .190 batting average. Meanwhile, the Flames have hit .310 and plated 90 runs (6.92 runs/games) during the same stretch.
Player Quick Hits
• INF Ryan Seiz continues to lead the Flames in batting average (.430), runs (24), RBIs (22),home runs (5) and slugging percentage (.734).
• He is currently leads the Big South Conference in RBIs, runs scored, home runs, hits and slugging percentage and is second in batting average
• Seiz collected five hits, a double, a home run and two RBIs vs. Campbell, Saturday and hit a home run and had four RBIs in win over Campbell, Friday.
• 1B Alex Close enters the week second in the Big South Conference with 21 RBIs.
• Close hit with a .406 and 14 RBIs during Liberty's season-high eight game win streak, 2/25-3/15.
• SS Dalton Britt has spent time at both shortstop and third base this season for the Flames. The sophomore has started the last six games at shortstop.
• 3B Dylan Allen recorded his first three-hit game of his career, Friday. Allen went 3-for-3 with three RBIs and three runs scored in win over Campbell. He also added a three-run triple on Saturday.
• C Danny Grauer is currently on a nine-game hit streak, the longest of his career and the longest by a Flame this season.
• OF Nick Lacik went 4-for-4 with four RBIs and two runs scored in win vs. Campbell,
Saturday. Four hits in a game is a career high for the senior.
• Lacik leads the Big South Conference in walks (16), is tied for third in runs scored (19) and is eighth in on base percentage (.433).
• DH/C Becker Sankey had three hits and scored a run against Campbell, this past Saturday.
• RHP Trey Lambert ran his record to 4-1, Friday. Lambert pitched six scoreless innings,
allowing two hits in 17-1 win over Campbell, Friday.
• Lambert is tied for the conference lead in wins
• RHP Ashton Perritt recorded his team-leading sixth save of the season, March 11 at Elon. He leads the Big South Conference in saves.
• LHP Jared Lyons allowed two runs on five hits over seven innings in win at Elon, March 11
• Lyons leads the Flames with 0.71 ERA and 27 strikeouts. Currently, he is third among Big South Conference pitchers with a 0.71 ERA and an opponent batting average of .151.
• RHP Matt Marsh pitched 5 2/3 innings of scoreless relief in game two of Liberty's doubleheader against Campbell, Saturday. It is the longest outing of the senior's career.
Anatomy of Eight-Game Win Streak
• Liberty put together an eight-game winning streak from Feb. 28 to March 15.
• Liberty's pitching staff posted a 1.22 ERA and allowed 1.62 runs per game. The Flames' opposition hit .180 during the eight games.
• The Flames outscored its opponents during the span, 64-13.
• Liberty hit .316 as a team and scored an average of eight runs per game during the streak.
• 1B Alex Close led Liberty with a .406 and 14 RBIs.
• 2B Ryan Seiz earned Big South Player of the Week and NCBWA National Hitter of the Week honors for the week ending March, 2. He posted a .579 batting average, five runs scored and five RBIs during the first four games of the streak.
Flames Clubhouse Report
• Join the Liberty Flames Sports Network's Nick Pierce each week for a look at Flames Baseball.
• The audio show is available at LibertyFlames.com each week throughout the season.
• Pierce, who brings you all the action of Liberty Flames baseball, takes a look back at the previous week, along with comments from Liberty head coach Jim Toman and key Flames.