Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Flames Shut Out in Big South Opener at Presbyterian College
The Liberty Flames tennis squad opened Big South Conference play with a 7-0 setback at Presbyterian College on Saturday morning at the Templeton Tennis Courts.
The loss ends Liberty's two-match winning streak and drops its record to 6-7 overall and 0-1 in conference tilts. Presbyterian College improves to 17-3 for the season and a perfect 3-0 in Big South matches.
The Blue Hose opened the match with a sweep of the doubles matches. In the No. 1 position, Liberty's No. 80-ranked pair Shea Thomas and Jorge Azuero were edged by Rafael Berghaus and Joel Roberts, 8-6. The Flames' No. 2 duo of Egon Samaai and Dillon Segur were also defeated by an 8-6 margin, falling to Ben Kelley and Ryan Miller. The No. 3 match between Presbyterian College's Diego Manzanas and Grayson Mills and Liberty's Stan Vaughan and Alejandro Llamas went the way of the Blue Hose by a final count of 8-2.
In singles action, the Flames pushed the home team to three sets in the top three positions, but could not secure a victory as Presbyterian College earned a sweep.
At No. 1, Mills edged Thomas in a tight match, 7-5, 6-7 (7-5), 10-5. Berghaus captured another three-set win for the Blue Hose, defeating Azuero, 7-6 (7-5), 3-6, 10-5, in the No. 2 spot. Presbyterian College's third three-set win came from Miller over Samaai at No. 3, 6-4, 5-7, 6-4.
In the No. 4 position, Roberts knocked off Llamas, 6-2, 7-6 (7-5), while Kelley ousted Segur, 6-4, 6-1 at No. 5. The No. 6 contest featured a 6-4, 6-3 victory Manzanas over Vaughan.
The Flames travel to Durham, N.C. for their next contest, facing North Carolina Central on Thursday at 1 p.m.
Presbyterian College 7, Liberty 0
1. Rafael Berghaus/Joel Roberts (PC) def. Shea Thomas/Jorge Azuero (LU), 8-6
2. Ben Kelley/Ryan Miller (PC) def. Egon Samaai/Dillon Segur (LU), 8-6
3. Diego Manzanas/Grayson Mills (PC) def. Stan Vaughan/Alejandro Llamas (LU), 8-2
1. Grayson Mills (PC) def. Shea Thomas (LU), 7-5, 6-7 (7-5), 10-5
2. Rafael Berghaus (PC) def. Jorge Azuero (LU), 7-6 (7-5), 3-6, 10-5
3. Ryan Miller (PC) def. Egon Samaai (LU), 6-4, 5-7, 6-4
4. Joel Roberts (PC) def. Alejandro Llamas (LU), 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
5. Ben Kelley (PC) def. Dillon Segur (LU), 6-4, 6-1
6. Diego Manzanas (PC) def. Stan Vaughan (LU), 6-4, 6-3