Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Lady Flames Outlast Dukes, Win 4-3 Decision
Liberty captured the doubles point to start off the day, as Jonita Randolph and Martyna Hanusz won the No. 1 doubles match, and Ekaterina Kuznetsova and Kathy Waldthausen took the No. 2 match by an 8-1 count to wrap up the point.
With the temperature approaching the mid-80s, the teams contested two three-set singles matches and a third which featured a first-set tiebreaker. Singles competition was controlled by Liberty early on, as Randolph and Waldthausen both won their matches at No. 1 and No. 3, respectively. For Randolph, the win was her 49th career singles victory. The senior will have her first opportunity for her 50th career match win on Saturday against Coastal Carolina, the opponent which defeated Liberty in last year's Big South tournament.
After the Waldthausen win, the Dukes slowly rallied. Victories at No. 2, No. 4, and No. 6 gave James Madison an opportunity to win, as the match came down to the final contest, the No. 5 singles match between Liberty's Hanusz and the Dukes' Lauren Graham. Graham won the first set, but Hanusz rallied to take the second in a tiebreak. In the third and final set, Hanusz was victorious, 6-0, ending the match and securing the Lady Flames' win.
With the victory, the Lady Flames' record now stands at 5-6. Liberty will return to action on Saturday, as it will resume conference play by hosting Coastal Carolina. Match time against the Lady Chanticleers is scheduled for 1 p.m.
1. Jonita Randolph/Martyna Hanusz (LU) def. Mary Napier/Anna Khoor (JMU) – 8-6
2. Ekaterina Kuznetsova/Kathy Waldthausen (LU) def. Rebecca Erickson/Briana Jain (JMU) – 8-1
3. Lauren Graham/Kelly Maxwell (JMU) def. Daniela Dimas/Livia Branco (LU) – 8-1
1. Jonita Randolph (LU) def. Mary Napier (JMU) – 6-0, 6-1
2. Anna Khoor (JMU) def. Ekaterina Kuznetsova (LU) – 4-6, 7-6, 7-5
3. Kathy Waldthausen (LU) def. Rebecca Erickson (JMU) – 6-2, 6-0
4. Briana Jain (JMU) def. Daniela Dimas (LU) – 6-3, 6-3
5. Martyna Hanusz (LU) def. Lauren Graham (JMU) – 4-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-0
6. Kelly Maxwell (JMU) def. Livia Branco (LU) – 7-6 (7-3), 6-2