Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Liberty Doubles Up Coker, 6-3
The Liberty men's tennis team put a stop to its two-match losing skid by knocking off the Coker Cobras, 6-3, on Saturday afternoon at the Coker Tennis Courts.
The Flames improve to 5-6 overall this season and 2-0 all-time against Coker. The Cobras, who are ranked No. 36 in Division II, fall to 2-5 for the year.
The contest opened with a sweep by Liberty in each of the three doubles matches. With each match counting as one point, the Flames jumped out to a 3-0 lead heading into the singles tilts.
Shea Thomas and Jorge Azuero got back in the win column with a dominating 8-2 win over James Corfield and Andre Staab in the No. 1 position. Stan Vaughan and Alejandro Llamas also posted an 8-2 victory, knocking off William Marrafao and Martin Moncayo in the No. 2 spot. Dillon Segur and Guillem Secanell, playing as a duo for the first time this spring, outlasted Tom Sizeland and Zach Grooms, 9-8 (5) at No. 3.
The Flames and the Cobras split the singles matches with the visitors winning at the No. 1, 3 and 6 positions. Thomas improved to a team-best 6-4 with a 7-5, 6-2 victory against Staab in the No. 1 spot. Llamas improved his record to 5-5 on the season after knocking off Marrafao, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 3. In the No. 6 position, Vaughan posted a dominating 6-1, 6-1 win versus Grooms.
Coker collected singles wins at No. 2, 4 and 5. Sizeland downed Azuero, 7-5, 6-4, while Moncayo ousted Secanell, 6-4, 6-2. Corfield went three sets with Segur, before defeating the Flames' junior, 6-4, 1-6, 6-1.
The Flames remain in the Palmetto State for their next contest. Liberty plays James Madison on Thursday in a neutral site match in Hilton Head, beginning at 10 a.m.
Liberty 6, Coker 3
1. Shea Thomas/Jorge Azuero (LU) def. James Corfield/Andre Staab (CC), 8-2
2. Stan Vaughan/Alejandro Llamas (LU) def. William Marrafao/Martin Moncayo (CC), 8-2
3. Dillon Segur/Guillem Secanell (LU) def. Tom Sizeland/Zach Grooms (CC), 9-8 (5)
1. Shea Thomas (LU) def. Andre Staab (CC), 7-5, 6-2
2. Tom Sizeland (CC) def. Jorge Azuero (LU), 7-5, 6-4
3. Alejandro Llamas (LU) def. William Marrafao (CC), 6-3, 6-1
4. James Corfield (CC) def. Dillon Segur (LU), 6-4, 1-6, 6-1
5. Martin Moncayo (CC) def. Guillem Secanell (LU), 6-4, 6-2
6. Stan Vaughan (LU) def. Zach Grooms (CC), 6-1, 6-1