Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
No. 74 Liberty Blanked by No. 63 Marshall, 7-0
The No. 74 Liberty women's tennis team opened its difficult spring break road trip with a road contest at No. 63 Marshall. The Thundering Herd swept through the doubles and singles matches to earn a convincing 7-0 shutout of the Lady Flames on Saturday morning at the Huntington Tennis Club.
The loss, Liberty's second in a row, drops the Lady Flames to 7-4 overall and 0-2 against nationally ranked opponents. Marshall improves to 9-3 for the season and 4-1 since climbing into the national rankings.
"Marshall beat us in every facet of the game today," commented Liberty head coach Jeff Maren. "We'll take this as a learning experience and use it to be better prepared for our next match."
For just the third time this season, Liberty was swept in doubles play. Karli Timko and Anna Pomyatinskaya dealt Belen Rivera and Brittany Yang their first doubles loss of the season, 8-1, in the No. 2 position. Playing as a pair for the first time this season, the Lady Flames' Cameron Richard and Valerie Thong fell to Kai Broomfield and Rachael Morales, 8-4, in the No. 3 spot. The No. 1 match between Marshall's Dana Oppinger and Derya Turhan and Liberty's Rebekah Jenkins and Maria Khval was tight, but the Thundering Herd duo escaped with a 7-6 (6) victory.
Marshall carried over its momentum from doubles play and turned it into a sweep of the singles contests. It was just the second time this season that the Lady Flames dropped each of the six singles matches.
In the No. 1 position, Oppinger knocked off Jenkins, 6-2, 6-0, before Broomfield dealt Liberty's Mariely Hassey a 6-3, 6-2 setback at No. 3.
Marshall clinched the match with a win in the No. 2 position from Turhan over Khval, 6-3, 6-4.
With the contest already decided, Marshall completed the sweep with wins in the final three singles positions. Pomyatinskaya downed Rivera, 6-4, 7-6 (2), while Timko ousted Yang, 6-2, 6-4, and Morales beat Nicola Wellman, 6-2, 6-4.
With tomorrow's match against Longwood rescheduled to April 9, the Lady Flames return to play on Tuesday with a road contest at UTSA. The match is slated to begin at 2 p.m. (EST).
No. 63 Marshall 7, No. 74 Liberty 0
1. Dana Oppinger/Derya Turhan (MU) def. Rebekah Jenkins/Maria Khval (LU), 7-6 (6)
2. Karli Timko/Anna Pomyatinskaya (MU) def. Belen Rivera/Brittany Yang (LU), 8-1
3. Kai Broomfield/Rachael Morales (MU) def. Cameron Richard/Valerie Thong (LU), 8-4
1. Dana Oppinger (MU) def. Rebekah Jenkins (LU), 6-2, 6-0
2. Derya Turhan (MU) def. Maria Khval (LU), 6-3, 6-4
3. Kai Broomfield (MU) def. Mariely Hassey (LU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Anna Pomyatinskaya (MU) def. Belen Rivera (LU), 6-4, 7-6 (2)
5. Karli Timko (MU) def. Brittany Yang (LU), 6-2, 6-4
6. Rachael Morales (MU) def. Nicola Wellman (LU), 6-2, 6-4