Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Singles Sweep Propels Men's Tennis Past Morgan State, 5-1
The Liberty men's tennis team bounced back from a pair of recent setbacks with a convincing 5-1 win over the Morgan State Bears on Friday evening inside the Sports Racket.
With the victory, the Flames even their record at 4-4 on the season and improve to 2-0 at home. Liberty improves to 4-0 all-time against the Bears. Morgan State drops to 0-5 on the year.
The Bears jumped out to a 1-0 advantage after winning two of the three doubles matches. The Flames captured the first contest when Egon Samaai and Dillon Segur defeated Dmitriy Borodkin and Jannick Tash, 8-2, in the No. 2 position. With the win, Samaai and Segur improved to a team-best 3-1 on the season.
Morgan State rallied to take the remaining two doubles tilts. Joshua and Ty Abraham ousted Sergio Mourelo and Guillem Secanell, 8-4, before Duk Young-Park and Evan Ward upset Liberty's No. 19 ranked pair of Shea Thomas and Jorge Azuero, 8-7 (7).
The Flames responded in a big way in singles play. Thomas bounced back from the doubles loss to Young-Park with a 6-1, 6-2 victory in the No. 1 position, improving his singles record to 5-2 on the year.
Samaai pushed Liberty in front with his team-leading sixth singles win of the season. The sophomore knocked off Ward in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2, in the No. 2 spot.
Azuero extended the Flames' edge to 3-1 with a 6-1, 6-0 victory at No. 3 against Ty Abraham. Stan Vaughan followed with the clinching point in the No. 5 position. The senior ousted Tash, 6-3, 6-1.
Alejandro Llamas finished off the singles sweep with Liberty's fifth straight-set win, 6-4, 6-4, over Joshua Abraham in the No. 4 spot.
The No. 6 contest between Segur and Borodkin was ruled unfinished.
The Flames return to action on Feb. 28 with a home tilt against Richmond. Match time versus the Spiders is scheduled for 2 p.m. at the Hershey-Esbenshade Tennis Courts.
Liberty 5, Morgan State 1
1. Duk Young-Park/Evan Ward (MSU) def. Shea Thomas/Jorge Azuero (LU), 8-7 (7)
2. Dillon Segur/Egon Samaai (LU) def. Dmitriy Borodkin/Jannick Tash (MSU), 8-2
3. Joshua Abraham/Ty Abraham (MSU) def. Sergio Mourelo/Guillem Secanell (LU), 8-4
1. Shea Thomas (LU) def. Duk Young-Park (MSU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Egon Samaai (LU) def. Evan Ward (MSU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Jorge Azuero (LU) def. Ty Abraham (MSU), 6-1, 6-0
4. Alejandro Llamas (LU) def Joshua Abraham (MSU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Stan Vaughan (LU) def Jannick Tash (MSU), 6-3, 6-1
6. Dillon Segur (LU) def. . Dmitriy Borodkin (MSU), DNF