Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Men's Tennis Downed by Portland
The Liberty men's tennis team suffered the first loss of its West Coast road swing on Saturday, falling to the host Portland Pilots, 7-0, at the Louisiana-Pacific Tennis Center.
The loss evens up the Flames' record at 3-3 on the season. The Pilots, who recorded their second 7-0 win in as many days, improve to 2-2 on the year.
Portland began the match with wins in two of the three doubles contests. The Flames' Egon Samaai and Dillon Segur collected a win at the No. 2 position, defeating Kent Andreasen and Reid DeLaubenfels, 8-6.
The Pilots' No. 1 tandem of Ratan Gill and Alex Ferrero upset No. 19-ranked Shea Thomas and Jorge Azuero, 8-6, while Justin Guay and Michel Ho Kwo knocked off Liberty's Stan Vaughan and Alejandro Llamas, 8-3, in the No. 3 position.
Portland's momentum from the doubles matches carried over into a sweep of the singles tilts. At No. 1, Hu Kwo outlasted Thomas, 6-2, 7-6 (5), dropping the Liberty senior to 3-2 on the season.
In the No. 2 position, DeLaubenfels downed Samaai, 7-6 (5), 6-4, while Gill also won in straight sets at No. 3, 6-3, 6-3, over Azuero. Samaai, who was going for a team-best fifth singles win of the year, falls to 4-2 on the season.
The No. 4 and No. 5 positions also went the way of the Pilots, with Ferrero ousting Llamas, 6-4, 6-4, and Guay defeating Vaughan, 6-1, 7-5.
In the final singles spot, Segur jumped out to a one-set lead over Andreasen. The Pilots' sophomore rallied to win the match, 1-6, 7-5, 1-0 (5).
The Flames conclude their five-match road trip on Sunday with a neutral-site contest against Seattle. The match is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. (EST) at Portland.
Portland 7, Liberty 0
1. Michel Hu Kwo (UP) def. Shea Thomas (LU), 6-2, 7-6 (5)
2. Reid DeLaubenfels (UP) def. Egon Samaai (LU), 7-6 (5), 6-4
3. Ratan Gill (UP) def. Jorge Azuero (LU), 6-3, 6-3
4. Alex Ferrero (UP) def. Alejandro Llamas (LU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Justin Guay (UP) def. Stan Vaughan (LU), 6-1, 7-5
6. Kent Andreasen (UP) def. Dillon Segur (LU), 1-6, 7-5, 1-0 (5)
1. Ratan Gill/Alex Ferrero (UP) def. Shea Thomas/Jorge Azuero (LU), 8-6
2. Egon Samaai/Dillon Segur (LU) def. Kent Andreasen/Reid DeLaubenfels (UP), 8-6
3. Justin Guay/Michel Hu Kwo (UP) def. Stan Vaughan/Alejandro Llamas (LU), 8-3