Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Basketball Home > News
WBB Game Day Central: Charleston Southern
Liberty Channel - Local Coverage
(WTLU regionally in Lynchburg market)
Game Will be Carried Live
Video Streaming Coverage:
Big South Network (Free in 2013-14)
Provided by the Liberty Flames Sports Network (LFSN)
The Light (90.9 FM WWMC)
Liberty (13-9, 9-4 Big South) will wrap up its two-game homestand on Saturday with a matinee against Charleston Southern (8-15, 4-10 Big South). Tipoff is slated for 2 p.m. at the Vines Center for the Lady Flames' annual "Play 4Kay" game in support of breast cancer awareness.
The "Starting Five" - Today's Top Storylines
1) Liberty will look to sweep the regular-season series from Charleston Southern and post their seventh consecutive victory over the Buccaneers. Carey Green is 32-1 all-time coaching against CSU.
2) Post play has been a key to the Lady Flames' recent success against Charleston Southern. During the teams' Jan. 2 meeting in Charleston, Ashley Rininger, Katelyn Adams and Catherine Kearney all finished with double-doubles for Liberty. Additionally, the Lady Flames are averaging a +30 rebound margin during their last six games against the Buccaneers.
3) Charleston Southern will aim to snap a season-long five-game losing streak. The Buccaneers have found some success on the road in conference play, including wins at both Campbell and High Point.
4) Saturday's game could see a lot of three-point shooting. Charleston Southern leads the Big South with 176 made triples, while Liberty is on pace to set a new program single-season record for three-pointers made.
5) Ashley Rininger has a chance to set the Liberty sophomore-class record with her 14th double-double of the year. She has posted two double-doubles versus CSU in her career.
Liberty vs. Charleston Southern At a Glance
Series Record: Liberty leads, 49-6.
Current Streak: Liberty has won six consecutive meetings.
Series Record at Liberty: Liberty leads, 24-2.
Current Streak at Liberty: Liberty has won 19 consecutive meetings.
Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 92, Charleston Southern 69 (Jan. 2, 2014 at CSU)
Last Meeting at Liberty: Liberty 88, Charleston Southern 62 (March 2, 2013)
CSU's Last Series Victory: Charleston So. 54, Liberty 51 (Feb. 28, 2011 at CSU)
CSU's Last Series Victory at Liberty: Charleston So. 65, Liberty 64 (Jan. 20, 1996)
Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green
Overall Record (Seasons): 350-119 (15th Season)
Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same
Record vs. Charleston Southern: 32-1
Charleston Southern Head Coach: Fred Applin
Overall Record (Seasons): 29-55 (Fourth Season)
Record at Charleston Southern (Seasons): 16-35 (Second Season)
Record vs. Liberty: 1-4 (1-1 at Hampton, 0-3 at Charleston Southern)
Notes and Anecdotes
• Liberty notched a 92-69 victory over Charleston Southern on Jan. 2 at the Buc Dome in the teams' first meeting this season. Lady Flames post players Ashley Rininger (27 points, 11 rebounds), Katelyn Adams (14 points, 10 rebounds) and Catherine Kearney (10 points, 13 rebounds) all finished with double-doubles.
• The Buccaneers are in the midst of a season-long five-game losing streak and have scored fewer than 60 points during all five contests.
• Charleston Southern is just 3-7 on the road this season, but the Buccaneers do own road victories over two of the Big South's top teams in Campbell and High Point. Liberty lost on the road against both the Lady Camels and Panthers.
• CSU senior guard DJ Fowler ranks second nationally in steals with 3.1 thefts per game. She did not come up with a steal in 24 minutes of action against Liberty on Jan. 2.
• Charleston Southern paces the Big South with 176 three-pointers made and more than 43 percent of its shot attempts come from beyond the arc. The Buccaneers hit 11 triples against Liberty on Jan. 2.
• CSU senior center Erin LaVenice will be playing at the Vines Center for the second time during this academic year. On Oct. 18, she put down eight kills for the Buccaneer volleyball team during a 3-0 setback to the Lady Flames.
In Good Company
Ashley Rininger notched her 13th double-double of the year on Thursday, tying fellow Ohio native Megan Frazee's program sophomore-class record, set during the 2006-07 season.
• Rininger's 13 points also enabled her to leapfrog Frazee's sister Molly for 44th place on Liberty's all-time scoring list.
Raking in the Rebounds
Rebounding has been a major key to Liberty's recent success against Charleston Southern. During the Lady Flames' six straight wins over the Buccaneers, they have outrebounded CSU by an average of 30 boards per game (54.2-24.2). Liberty is averaging 23 offensive rebouds per game during those six games.
• Liberty's +31 rebound margin (54-23) at CSU on Jan. 2 was its largest of the season.
A Look Back at Liberty's 64-46 Win Over Coastal Carolina
• Liberty got back on track after a rare two-game Big South losing skid, recording a 64-46 triumph over Coastal Carolina, Thursday evening inside the Vines Center.
• The Lady Flames used defense and rebounding to get back into the win column, outrebounding their 20th straight opponent (42-28 advantage) while holding the Chanticleers to 34 percent (18-of-53) shooting and a season-low 46 points.
• Liberty limited Coastal Carolina's leading scorer AJ Jordan to a season-low four points, 12 below her season average.
• It was the Lady Flames' 42nd straight win in their head-to-head series with Coastal Carolina, representing the second-longest active winning streak against a single opponent in NCAA Division I women's basketball.
• Liberty jumped out to a quick 9-3 lead and never trailed during the contest.
• The Lady Flames tallied 17 assists on 24 made baskets, paced by Sadalia Ellis' seven helpers. It was just one off of the sophomore's career high.
• All 13 Liberty players in uniform saw action, including freshman Audrey Rettstatt, who made her collegiate debut. As a result, the Lady Flames scored 17 bench points to Coastal Carolina's 13. It was the 17th time this season that Liberty has recorded more bench points than its opponent.
• Ashley Rininger led Liberty in both points (13) and rebounds (10) for her 13th double-double of the season and the 16th of her career. She tied Megan Frazee for the Liberty sophomore-class record for most double-doubles in a season.
• Katelyn Adams added 12 points, seven rebounds and a game-high three blocked shots. It was the 20th time in 22 games this season that she has pulled down seven or more boards.
• Emily Frazier finished with 10 points and four assists, scoring in double figures for the first time since the UNC Asheville game on Jan. 18.
The Container is Half Empty
Since the start of the 2007-08 season, only seven teams have shot 50 percent against Liberty in 220 games, including none so far this season. By way of comparison, the Lady Flames have shot 50 percent 56 times during that span, including twice this year.