Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Basketball Home > News
WBB Game Day Central: Coastal Carolina
Liberty Channel - Local Coverage
(WTLU regionally in Lynchburg market)
Game Will be Carried Live
Video Streaming Coverage:
Big South Network (Free in 2013-14)
Provided by the Liberty Flames Sports Network (LFSN)
The Light (90.9 FM WWMC)
Liberty (12-9, 8-4 Big South) will look to halt a rare two-game Big South losing skid on Thursday, when Coastal Carolina (11-11, 7-6 Big South) visits the Vines Center. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m.
The "Starting Five" - Today's Top Storylines
1) Liberty has won 41 consecutive games against Coastal Carolina, marking the second-longest active winning streak against a single opponent in NCAA Division I women's basketball. The Chanticleers' most recent victory over the Lady Flames came on Feb. 19, 1996, when Liberty freshman Simone Brown was about four months old.
2) The Lady Flames will attempt to get back on track after losing consecutive Big South games for the first time since Feb. 20 and 22, 1997. Liberty has dropped three of its last four outings overall, with all three setbacks coming in overtime.
3) Coastal Carolina is also looking to get things turned around. After starting 4-0 in Big South play for the first time in program history, the Chanticleers are just 3-6 in their last nine league tilts.
4) Liberty is coming off of a string of four overtime games in its last five contests, featuring a total of five overtime periods. The Lady Flames are 1-3 in overtime this season and have set a new program record for most overtime games in a single campaign.
5) Freshman Mickayla Sanders will look to continue her recent hot streak. She is averaging 16.3 ppg during her last four appearances while shooting 46.4 percent (13-of-28) from three-point range. On Saturday, Sanders paced all players with a career-high 19 points at Campbell, 13 of which came after halftime.
Liberty vs. Coastal Carolina At a Glance
Series Record: Liberty leads, 51-7.
Current Streak: Liberty has won 41 consecutive meetings.
Series Record at Liberty: Liberty leads, 22-4.
Current Streak at Liberty: Liberty has won 18 consecutive meetings.
Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 71, Coastal Carolina 62 (Jan. 4, 2014 at Coastal)
Last Meeting at Liberty: Liberty 68, Coastal Carolina 31 (Feb. 28, 2013)
Coastal's Last Series Victory: Coastal 70, Liberty 55 (Feb. 19, 1996 at Coastal)
Coastal's Last Series Victory at Liberty: Coastal 68, Liberty 62 (Jan. 22, 1996)
Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green
Overall Record (Seasons): 349-119 (15th Season)
Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same
Record vs. Coastal Carolina: 33-0
Coastal Carolina Head Coach: Jaida Williams
Overall Record (Seasons): 11-11 (First Season)
Record at Coastal Carolina (Seasons): Same
Record vs. Liberty: 0-1
Notes and Anecdotes
• During Liberty's first meeting with Coastal Carolina this season (Jan. 4 at The HTC Center), the Lady Flames raced out to a 28-point first-half lead before the Chanticleers cut it to eight late in the game. Reagan Miller scored 12 of her season-high 18 points after halftime to seal Liberty's 71-62 triumph.
• Coastal Carolina entered its first meeting with Liberty with a 4-0 Big South record. However, the Chanticleers' Jan. 4 setback to the Lady Flames started a stretch where they have gone 3-6 in the last nine conference games.
• Liberty has won 41 straight games in the head-to-head series against Coastal Carolina, marking the second-longest active winning streak against a single opponent in NCAA Division I women's basketball. (See additional details on the next page.)
• AJ Jordan, a 5-8 junior guard, has been Coastal Carolina's best player during a breakout season. She ranks fourth in the Big South in scoring (16.3 ppg) and ninth in rebounding at 7.4 rpg. Jordan was limited to 10 points during the Jan. 4 contest.
• Liberty head coach Carey Green, a 1979 graduate of Coastal Carolina, is 33-0 all-time coaching against his alma mater.
• Coastal Carolina (second, 71.3 ppg) and Liberty (third, 70.9 ppg) are two of the highest-scoring teams in the Big South Conference.
Liberty has won 41 consecutive games against Coastal Carolina, which is the second-longest active winning streak against a single opponent in NCAA Division I women's basketball. Here is a look at the top four.
1) Stanford vs. Washington State - 55
2) Liberty vs. Coastal Carolina - 41
3) Tennessee vs. Alabama - 40
4) Duke vs. Wake Forest - 39
Four of Liberty's last five games have gone to overtime, including the last two in a row. The Lady Flames have now set a new program record for most overtime games in a single season with four, going 1-3 in extra time. Liberty has never played three straight overtime contests.
A Look Back at Liberty's 61-55 Overtime Loss at Campbell
• Liberty lost its second consecutive contest in overtime, falling by a 61-55 score at Campbell on Saturday afternoon.
• The Lady Flames battled back from a 13-point second-half deficit to tie the score and had four potential game-winning shots miss the mark during the final 31 seconds of regulation.
• Campbell made only one field goal during overtime, but it was a big one. D Janelle Brown's triple from the right corner swished through the net with 34.2 seconds remaining, putting the Lady Camels ahead for good.
• It was Liberty's fourth overtime game in the last five outings. The Lady Flames set a program single-season record with their fourth overtime tilt of 2013-14.
• It marked the Lady Flames' first back-to-back Big South losses since Feb. 20 and 22, 1997.
• Campbell defeated Liberty for the first time since Nov. 29, 1999.
• Liberty's 55 points were a season low and the fewest the Lady Flames have ever scored in an overtime game.
• For the game, Liberty struggled shooting the ball from the field (20-of-57 for 35.1 percent), three-point range (5-of-19 for 26.3 percent) and the foul line (10-of-18 for 55.6 percent).
• Liberty outrebounded its 19th straight opponent, finishing with a 43-40 edge on the glass.
• Mickayla Sanders led all players with a career-high 19 points, highlighted by four made triples. She scored 13 of her points after halftime, including nine straight markers during an 11-0 run which enabled the Lady Flames to tie the score at 40-40.
• Sadalia Ellis scored in double digits for the second straight game, finishing with 11 points and a team-high four assists.
• Liberty's five sophomores (Katelyn Adams, Sadalia Ellis, Jaymee Fisher-Davis, Catherine Kearney and Ashley Rininger) are playing an important role for the Lady Flames during the 2013-14 season.
• The sophomores are scoring 56.5 percent of Liberty's points this season, averaging 40 points per game.
• Ashley Rininger is leading the way, having improved significantly upon her numbers from 2012-13. She is averaging a team-high 15.6 ppg this season, after scoring 6.9 ppg a year ago. Rininger was named Big South Women's Basketball Player of the Week on Dec. 2 and 23.
Shortage of Losing Streaks
Last week, Liberty lost back-to-back games to Big South opponents (High Point and Campbell). It was the first time since Feb. 20 and 22, 1997 that the Lady Flames dropped consecutive contests to Big South foes, including regular-season and tournament games.
• During that span, Liberty played 288 conference games and won 15 Big South championships.
• The Lady Flames have not lost three straight Big South tilts since ending the 1995-96 campaign with five Big South setbacks in a row (Feb. 17-March 7, 1996).