Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Basketball Home > News
WBB Game Day Central: Campbell
Video Streaming Coverage:
Big South Network (Free in 2013-14)
Provided by the Liberty Flames Sports Network (LFSN)
The Light (90.9 FM WWMC)
Liberty (12-8, 8-3 Big South) will travel to Campbell (13-8, 8-4 Big South) on Saturday, attempting to complete a regular-season sweep of the Lady Camels. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m. inside Gore Arena.
The "Starting Five" - Today's Top Storylines
1) Liberty and Campbell are two of five teams separated by a game and a half atop the Big South standings. The Lady Flames are one-half game behind co-leaders High Point and Winthrop at 8-3, while the Lady Camels are one game back at 8-4.
2) The Lady Flames will aim to bounce back from a 94-89 double overtime setback to High Point on Thursday. Liberty has not lost back-to-back Big South games since Feb. 20 and 22, 1997.
3) Liberty will attempt to halt Campbell's four-game winning streak, which features an overtime victory over Winthrop on Jan. 23 at Gore Arena.
4) The Lady Flames have gone 6-0 against Campbell since the Lady Camels rejoined the Big South prior to the 2011-12 season, winning the half-dozen contests by an average of 18.0 ppg.
5) Freshman Mickayla Sanders will look to continue her hot shooting for the Lady Flames. She is averaging 15.3 ppg during her last three outings, making three triples in each contest. Sanders forced overtime with a three-pointer with 0.6 seconds remaining on Thursday against High Point. She scored a team-high 13 points during Liberty's 75-52 home win over Campbell on Dec. 28. Sanders grew up in Clayton, N.C., just 45 minutes away from Campbell's campus.
Liberty vs. Campbell At a Glance
Series Record: Liberty leads, 13-12.
Current Streak: Liberty has won six consecutive meetings.
Series Record at Campbell: Campbell leads, 7-3.
Current Streak at Liberty: Liberty has won two consecutive meetings.
Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 75, Campbell 52 (Dec. 28, 2013 at Liberty)
Last Meeting at Campbell: Liberty 78, Campbell 56 (Jan. 31, 2013)
Campbell's Last Series Victory: Campbell 64, Liberty 59 (Nov. 29, 1999 at Liberty)
Campbell's Last Series Victory at Home: Campbell 73, Liberty 69 (OT) (Dec. 5, 1998)
Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green
Overall Record (Seasons): 349-118 (15th Season)
Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same
Record vs. Campbell: 6-1
Campbell Head Coach: Wanda Watkins
Overall Record (Seasons): 511-409 (33rd Season)
Record at Campbell (Seasons): Same
Record vs. Liberty: 12-13
Notes and Anecdotes
• Campbell is Liberty's second consecutive opponent who hails from North Carolina and enters the contest with a four-game winning streak, following High Point on Thursday.
• Liberty took the teams' first matchup this season by a 75-52 score on Dec. 28 at the Vines Center. The Lady Flames held Campbell without a made field goal for the last 14:18, ending the game on a 26-4 run.
• Liberty is just 3-7 at Campbell all-time, but is 2-0 inside Gore Arena, which opened in time for the 2008-09 season.
• Campbell is 9-2 at home this season, including a Jan. 23 overtime win over Winthrop.
• Reagan Miller has scored in double figures in each of her two career visits to Gore Arena, shooting 66.7 percent (4-of-6) from three-point range. Meanwhile, Ashley Rininger posted a double-double (13 points, 10 rebounds) at Campbell last season.
• Liberty is 6-0 against Campbell since the Lady Camels rejoined the Big South Conference prior to the 2011-12 season, winning the six contests by an average of 18.0 points per game.
• Campbell will shoot for its first win over Liberty since Nov. 29, 1999, which was Carey Green's third game as the Lady Flames' head coach.
Liberty in February
All-Time Record in February: 197-124
Carey Green's Record in February: 97-8
Record This February (Games Remaining): 0-0 (8 games remaining)
Last Five February Records:
2008-09 - 6-0
2009-10 - 6-1
2010-11 - 5-1
2011-12 - 7-1
2012-13 - 7-0
At Home on the Road
Liberty has played well away from the Vines Center in recent years, posting 10 or more road victories in each of the past four seasons.
• The Lady Flames are 5-4 on the road this season. They have won five of their last seven road tilts.
• Liberty is 90-12 in Big South Conference road games under head coach Carey Green.
Shortage of Losing Streaks
Liberty will look to bounce back from a 94-89 double overtime loss to High Point. The Lady Flames have been very good at avoiding conference losing streaks in recent years.
• The Lady Flames have not lost back-to-back Big South games (including regular-season and tournament tilts) since Feb. 20 and 22, 1997 (versus UNCG and Winthrop).
• Since then, Liberty has played 288 games against Big South opponents and captured 15 conference titles.
Three of Liberty's last four games have gone to overtime, including road contests at Winthrop (Jan. 16) and UNC Asheville (Jan. 18) and Thursday's home double overtime tilt against High Point. The Lady Flames are 1-2 in those games.
• Liberty has tied the program record for most overtime games in a single season. The Lady Flames previously played three overtime contests in 1991-92, 1992-93 and 2003-04.
• Thursday's game was Liberty's first double overtime tilt since Feb. 11, 2012 vs. CSU.
A Look Back at Liberty's 94-89 Double Overtime Loss to High Point
• Mickayla Sanders sent Thursday evening's game to overtime by making a three-pointer with 0.6 seconds in regulation, but High Point eventually pulled out a 94-89 double overtime victory inside the Vines Center.
• The Panthers won at the Vines Center for the third straight year and became just the third Big South team (also 2006-07 High Point and 2009-10 Gardner-Webb) to sweep the two-game regular-season series from Liberty.
• High Point's 94 points were the most ever scored by a visiting women's basketball team at the Vines Center. The Panthers shot 91.2 percent (31-of-34) from the foul line, falling one free throw short of the Vines Center single-game record.
• Playing its third overtime game in its last four outings, Liberty fell despite putting five players in double figures in the scoring column and racking up a season-high 46 bench points.
• The Lady Flames' 89 points equaled the most they have ever scored in a losing effort.
• Liberty trailed by as many as 12 points in the second half before rallying.
• The Lady Flames won the rebounding battle for the 18th straight game, doing so by a narrow 44-42 margin.
• Sadalia Ellis led the Lady Flames with a career-high 17 points, eight of which came during the two overtimes. She added a team-high seven assists and tied her career high with five rebounds.
• Mickayla Sanders scored all 13 of her points after halftime, including three triples.
• Ashley Rininger became one of Liberty's top 50 career scorers during the game, which saw her score 12 points, pull down a team-high eight rebounds and block a season-best four shots.
• Simone Brown added a career-high 10 points for the Lady Flames.
• Liberty's five sophomores (Katelyn Adams, Sadalia Ellis, Jaymee Fisher-Davis, Catherine Kearney and Ashley Rininger) are playing an important role for the Lady Flames during the 2013-14 season.
• The sophomores are scoring 56.4 percent of Liberty's points thus far, averaging 40.4 points per game.
• Ashley Rininger is leading the way, having improved significantly upon her numbers from 2012-13. She is averaging a team-high 16.1 ppg this season, after scoring 6.9 ppg a year ago. Rininger was named Big South Women's Basketball Player of the Week on Dec. 2 and 23.
Five different Lady Flames scored in double digits during Thursday's game against High Point, including Sadalia Ellis (17), Mickayla Sanders (13), Ashley Rininger (12), Simone Brown (10) and Catherine Kearney (10). Liberty had not had five players reach double figures in the same game since Feb. 9, 2013 at Longwood.
Liberty has made 19 three-pointers during its last two games, giving the Lady Flames 115 triples this season. They are on pace to break the Liberty single-season record of 173 three-pointers, set last season.