Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Lady Flames Drop Non-Conference Tilt to Wofford
The start of the match was delayed approximately three hours due to inclement weather. Once the match began, doubles competition featured Wofford winning at both No. 1 and No. 2 to capture the point.
In the day's singles competition, Wofford was able to win three of the first five matches to ensure its victory. The Terriers' wins included Merry Ellen Henry's win at No. 1 singles, a triumph over the Lady Flames' Jonita Randolph. The defeat was Randolph's first individual loss on the season, and her record now stands at 8-1.
Notable victories on the day for the Lady Flames included Ekaterina Kuznetsova winning her fourth-consecutive individual match at No. 2 singles, as well as Martyna Hanusz taking her third-straight contest at No. 5. Kuznetsova's record is now 7-2, while Hanusz now sports a 5-3 mark.
With the defeat, Liberty's season record drops to 4-5. The Lady Flames will conclude their Southeastern road swing on Saturday, as they return to conference play by taking on Winthrop in Rock Hill, S.C. Match time with the Lady Eagles, the five-time defending Big South champions, is set for 1 p.m.
1. McKenzie Carson/Merry Ellen Henry (WOF) def. Martyna Hanusz/Jonita Randolph (LU), 8-2
2. Adriane Hodges/Cayley Wetzig (WOF) def. Ekaterina Kuznetsova/Kathy Waldthausen (LU), 9-8 (4)
3. Liberty wins by default
1. Merry Ellen Henry (WOF) def. Jonita Randolph (LU), 6-3, 6-2
2. Ekaterina Kuznetsova (LU) def. Adriane Hodges (WOF), 7-6, 2-6, 10-3
3. Cayley Wetzig (WOF) def. Kathy Waldthausen (LU), 6-3, 6-3
4. Sabrina Smyers (WOF) def. Daniela Dimas (LU), 6-1, 6-1
5. Martyna Hanusz (LU) def. McKenzie Carson (WOF), 7-5, 6-3
6. Liberty wins by default