Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Basketball Home > News
WBB Game Day Central: Gardner-Webb
Liberty Channel - Local Coverage
(WTLU regionally in Lynchburg market)
Game Will be Carried Live
Video Streaming Coverage:
Big South Network (Free in 2013-14)
Provided by the Liberty Flames Sports Network (LFSN)
The Light (90.9 FM WWMC)
Liberty (8-6, 4-1 Big South) returns to the Vines Center Thursday at 7 p.m. to host Gardner-Webb (9-5, 4-1 Big South). The game will match up two of the Big South's four co-leaders.
The "Starting Five" - Today's Top Storylines
1) Four teams (Coastal Carolina, Gardner-Webb, Liberty and Winthrop) are tied for the Big South Conference lead at 4-1, and two of those squads (Gardner-Webb and Liberty) will square off Thursday evening inside the Vines Center.
2) Gardner-Webb's first visit to the Vines Center since Feb. 25, 2012 will renew a rivalry which has quickly become one of the Big South's best. Liberty and Gardner-Webb have faced off in the Big South Championship four times in the last five seasons, including three straight years (2009, 2010 and 2011) in the title game.
3) Liberty has outrebounded 12 straight opponents and currently leads the nation in rebound margin at +17.0. The Lady Flames will be challenged by Gardner-Webb, which ranks second in the Big South and No. 26 nationally with a +9.1 rebound margin.
4) Thursday's contest will match up two of the Big South's best post players in Liberty's Ashley Rininger (15.6 ppg, 10.1 rpg) and Gardner-Webb's Catrina Green (15.9 ppg, 11.6 rpg). Both of them are two-time Big South Players of the Week this season.
5) Coming off of a season-high 18-point outburst at Coastal Carolina, Liberty junior guard Reagan Miller will look for another strong showing against Gardner-Webb. In four career meetings with the Runnin' Bulldogs, Miller is averaging 14.5 ppg and shooting 56.5 percent (13-of-23) from three-point range.
Liberty vs. Gardner-Webb At a Glance
Series Record: Liberty leads, 10-3.
Current Streak: Liberty has won four consecutive meetings.
Series Record at Liberty: Liberty leads, 3-1.
Current Streak at Liberty: Liberty has won two consecutive meetings.
Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 78, Gardner-Webb 61 (March 8, 2013 at Coastal)
Last Meeting at Liberty: Liberty 76, Gardner-Webb 44 (Feb. 25, 2012)
Gardner-Webb's Last Series Victory: GWU 67, Liberty 66 (March 13, 2011 at HPU)
Gardner-Webb's Last Series Victory at Liberty: GWU 59, Liberty 56 (Feb. 8, 2010)
Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green
Overall Record (Seasons): 345-116 (15th Season)
Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same
Record vs. Gardner-Webb: 10-3
Gardner-Webb Head Coach: Rick Reeves
Overall Record (Seasons): 411-386 (28th Season)
Record at Gardner-Webb (Seasons): 144-148 (10th Season)
Record vs. Liberty: 3-10
Notes and Anecdotes
• Gardner-Webb and Liberty are both part of a four-way tie for first place in the Big South standings at 4-1. Both teams are coming off of big wins over previously unbeaten Big South squads on Saturday, as Gardner-Webb defeated Winthrop and Liberty won at Coastal Carolina.
• Thursday's game will mark Gardner-Webb's first visit to the Vines Center since Feb. 25, 2012, as the Runnin' Bulldogs were not scheduled to play at Liberty in 2012-13.
• Gardner-Webb is 7-0 at home this season but just 2-5 away from Paul Porter Arena. Both of those road wins have come in conference play, against Presbyterian College and UNC Asheville.
• Liberty leads the nation in rebound margin at +17.0 but will be challenged on the boards by Gardner-Webb, which ranks second in the Big South and 26th nationally at +9.1.
• Liberty's Ashley Rininger (15.6 ppg, 10.1 rpg) and Gardner-Webb's Catrina Green (15.9 ppg, 11.6 rpg) are both averaging double-doubles.
• Liberty's Jaymee Fisher-Davis and Gardner-Webb's Mayhana Dunovant were teammates at Butler High School in 2010-11, helping their team go 30-1.
• Rick Reeves was Liberty's head coach for nine seasons (1990-91 through 1998-99).
Liberty set a program single-season record by making 173 three-pointers last season, averaging 5.1 triples per game. The Lady Flames are on pace to break that mark in 2013-14,
as they are currently averaging 5.4 three-pointers made per contest. Four different players (Mickayla Sanders, Reagan Miller, Emily Frazier and Simone Brown) have made 10 or more triples thus far this season.
Painting a Masterpiece
The Lady Flames have outscored 11 consecutive opponents inside the paint overall. In Big South play, Liberty is outscoring its opposition in the paint by an average of 22.8 points per game.
Ashley Rininger has notched nine double-doubles this season. With one more, she will become the ninth Lady Flame ever to record 10 or more double-doubles in a season.
A Look Back at Liberty's 71-62 Win at Coastal Carolina
• Liberty raced out to a 25-5 lead to start the game and held on for a 71-62 win, Saturday afternoon at Coastal Carolina. The Lady Flames led by as many as 28 points before the Chanticleers trimmed the deficit to eight late in the contest.
• The victory moved Liberty into a share of the Big South lead at 4-1. Coastal Carolina also shares first place at 4-1 after losing its first conference game of the season.
• Liberty has now won 41 straight games over Coastal Carolina, marking the second-longest active winning streak against a single opponent in NCAA Division I women's basketball.
• The Liberty men's and women's basketball teams are now a combined 9-0 at The HTC Center.
• The Lady Flames finished with notable advantages in rebounding (42-32) and points in the paint (30-12). It was the 12th straight game that Liberty has won the rebounding battle and the 11th straight time the Lady Flames have outscored their opponent inside the paint.
• Reagan Miller scored 12 of her season-high 18 points after halftime. She also set season highs for three-pointers made (4) and minutes played (31). Miller moved into sixth place in program history with 107 career three-pointers made.
• Ashley Rininger scored 13 points and pulled down a game-high 11 rebounds for her second straight double-double, her ninth of the season and the 12th of her career.
• Katelyn Adams finished with eight points and seven rebounds, marking her 12th straight game with seven or more boards.
• Nine Lady Flames scored four or more points, including Jaymee Fisher-Davis, who tied her season high of five points for the second game in a row.
• Tesh Hanson grabbed a career-high six rebounds in 11 minutes off the bench.
• Liberty's five sophomores (Katelyn Adams, Sadalia Ellis, Jaymee Fisher-Davis, Catherine Kearney and Ashley Rininger) are playing a key role for the Lady Flames during the early stages of the 2013-14 season.
• The sophomores are scoring 57 percent of Liberty's points thus far, averaging 40 points per game.
• The duo of Ashley Rininger and Sadalia Ellis is leading the way, as both players have improved significantly upon their numbers from 2012-13. Rininger is averaging a team-high 15.6 ppg this season, after scoring 6.9 ppg a year ago. She was named Big South Women's Basketball Player of the Week on Dec. 2 and 23. Meanwhile, Ellis is posting 8.4 ppg, after averaging 3.4 ppg with a season-high of 10 points as a freshman.
Double-Double x 3
Liberty's redshirt sophomore trio of Ashley Rininger (27 points, 11 rebounds), Katelyn Adams (14 points, 10 rebounds) and Catherine Kearney (10 points, 13 rebounds) all recorded double-doubles on Jan. 2 at Charleston Southern.
• It was the first time three Lady Flames had posted double-doubles in the same game since Feb. 4, 1986, when Harriett Blair, Sharon Freet and Malynda Keck did so against Randolph-Macon.
• Rininger (9 double-doubles), Kearney (3 double-doubles) and Adams (1 double-double) have combined for 13 double-doubles during this season's first 14 games.
Feasting at the Foul Line
Liberty is shooting a Big South-best 76.5 percent from the free throw line to start the season, ranking No. 14 nationally. The Lady Flames' program record for free throw percentage is 72.8 percent, set in 2007-08.