Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Lady Flames Move to 2-0 in Big South; Defeat Birmingham-Southern
Singles competition featured each team winning three matches. The Panthers captured the No. 3, 4, and 6 matches, while Liberty won the remaining contests. Included in the Lady Flame victories was Jonita Randolph's eighth-consecutive win to begin the season, along with Ekaterina Kuznetsova's third-straight triumph at No. 2 singles.
Liberty prevailed in two of three doubles matches to capture what would prove to be the day's decisive point. For the first time all season, the pairing of Jonita Randolph and Martyna Hanusz played at No. 2 doubles for Liberty, a match which the Lady Flames won, 8-2. At No. 1 doubles, it was Kathy Waldthausen and Ekaterina Kuznetsova capturing an 8-3 victory for Liberty.
With their second-consecutive win to start the Big South season, the Lady Flames push their overall record to 4-4. They will continue their schedule on Friday, as they play a non-conference match against Wofford. Match time in Spartanburg, S.C. is scheduled for 1 p.m.
1. Ekaterina Kuznetsova/Kathy Waldthausen (LU) def. Jenna Kefferly/Kathryn Carroll (BSC) – 8-3
2. Jonita Randolph/Martyna Hanusz (LU) def. Kate Lambert/Casey Ragsdale (BSC) – 8-2
3. Stephanie Boucher/Lauren Russell (BSC) def. Livia Branco/Daniela Dimas (LU) – 8-5
1. Jonita Randolph (LU) def. Kathryn Carroll (BSC) – 6-4, 6-3
2. Ekaterina Kuznetsova (LU) def. Stephanie Boucher (BSC) – 6-2, 6-1
3. Casey Ragsdale (BSC) def. Kathy Waldthausen (LU) – 6-3, 6-0
4. Kate Lambert (BSC) def. Daniela Dimas (LU) – 6-2, 7-5
5. Martyna Hanusz (LU) def. Janie Asseff (BSC) – 6-4, 6-4
6. Lauren Russell (BSC) def. Livia Branco (LU) – 6-1, 6-4