Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Basketball Home > News
WBB Game Day Central: High Point
Video Streaming Coverage:
Big South Network (Free in 2013-14)
Provided by the Liberty Flames Sports Network (LFSN)
The Light (90.9 FM WWMC)
Liberty (6-5, 2-0 Big South) will open a three-game Big South road swing Monday at 7 p.m., when the Lady Flames travel to High Point (5-6, 1-1 Big South). It will be the 44th all-time meeting between the conference rivals.
The "Starting Five" - Today's Top Storylines
1) The road team has been victorious in the last six meetings between Liberty and High Point, including four Liberty wins at the Millis Center and two High Point wins at the Vines Center. The last time that the home team won was Feb. 5, 2011, when the Lady Flames recorded a 58-57 victory over the Panthers in Lynchburg.
2) Liberty has enjoyed a considerable amount of success at the Millis Center in recent years. The Lady Flames have notched seven consecutive road victories over High Point and are 15-2 at the Millis Center since the start of the 2008-09 season, highlighted by three Big South Championship titles at the facility.
3) The Lady Flames have played well of late, winning five straight games and six of their last seven decisions. Meanwhile, High Point is looking to snap a three-game losing streak. The Panthers are 1-5 in their last six outings.
4) Liberty is 4-0 in December and will look to finish unbeaten in the month of December for just the second time in program history. The Lady Flames were also undefeated in December 1997, as part of a 28-0 start to the 1997-98 season.
5) The Lady Flames will look to maintain at least a share of the Big South lead. Liberty is currently 2-0 in conference play, putting them in a tie for first place with Coastal Carolina and Winthrop. All three conference co-leaders are in action on Monday.
Liberty vs. High Point At a Glance
Series Record: Liberty leads, 32-11.
Current Streak: Liberty won the most recent meeting.
Series Record at High Point: Liberty leads, 15-5.
Current Streak at High Point: Liberty has won seven consecutive meetings.
Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 67, High Point 59 (Feb. 2, 2013 at High Point)
Last Meeting at High Point: Same
High Point's Last Series Victory: High Point 71, Liberty 63 (Jan. 17, 2013 at Liberty)
High Point's Last Series Victory at Home: HPU 58, Liberty 53 (March 9, 2009)
Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green
Overall Record (Seasons): 343-115 (15th Season)
Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same
Record vs. High Point: 28-8
High Point Head Coach: DeUnna Hendrix
Overall Record (Seasons): 22-19 (Second Season)
Record at High Point (Seasons): Same
Record vs. Liberty: 1-1
Notes and Anecdotes
• Liberty will hope to continue a recent trend of road victories during its head-to-head series with High Point. The visiting team has won six consecutive games in the series since the Lady Flames notched a 58-57 home win over the Panthers on Feb. 5, 2011 at the Vines Center.
• Liberty has played very well at the Millis Center in recent years, including seven straight road victories over High Point. In total, Liberty has played 17 games at the Millis Center since the start of the 2008-09 season, going 15-2 and winning three Big South titles at the facility (2009, 2010 & 2012).
• The Lady Flames' most recent game at High Point (Feb. 2, 2013) saw Liberty overcome a 15-point halftime deficit to record a 67-59 triumph. Ashley Rininger had 11 points and eight rebounds, while Emily Frazier recorded seven points, six rebounds, 10 assists and two steals for the victors.
• Liberty and High Point are currently heading in different directions. The Lady Flames have won five straight games and are 6-1 in their last seven outings. Meanwhile, High Point has lost three games in a row and five of its last six contests.
• Guard Kaylah Keys has been a bright spot for the Panthers this season, averaging a team-high 14.7 ppg. The native of Southaven, Miss., has already won a trio of Big South Freshman of the Week honors.
Liberty in December
All-Time Record in December: 97-112
Carey Green's Record in December: 52-42
Record This December (Games Remaining): 4-0 (1 game remaining)
Note: With a victory on Monday, Liberty would finish an unbeaten December for just the second time in program history. The Lady Flames were 6-0 in December 1997, as part of the team's 28-0 start to the 1997-98 season.
At Home on the Road
Liberty has won back-to-back road games, improving to 2-2 on the road this season. Success away from the Vines Center is nothing new for the Lady Flames, who have recorded double-digit road wins for four straight seasons.
• Liberty has won seven consecutive road games against High Point.
• The Lady Flames have won 11 straight road games versus Big South opponents since a 71-69 setback at Winthrop on Feb. 18, 2012.
Liberty has won a season-best five games in a row. The following are a few keys to the Lady Flames' recent success.
• Liberty is shooting 47.2 percent from the field, which has helped the Lady Flames score 74.8 points per game.
• Liberty is outrebounding opponents by 19.8 boards per game and outscoring opponents in the paint by 20.4 points per game.
• The Lady Flames are averaging 16.2 turnovers per game, down from 24.8 per contest for the season's first six games. Keying that effort is point guard Sadalia Ellis, who has recorded 27 assists to just 11 turnovers during the winning streak.
A Look Back at Liberty's 75-52 Win Over Campbell
• Liberty pushed its winning streak to five games with a 75-52 victory over Big South leader Campbell, Saturday afternoon at the Vines Center.
• The Lady Flames featured an inside/outside attack, making eight three pointers and outscoring the Lady Camels inside the paint, 36-16.
• Liberty also held Campbell without a made field goal for the last 14:18 of the game and limited the Lady Camels to a season-low 27.1 field goal percentage on the afternoon.
• It was a game of runs, as Liberty posted an early 18-0 surge and a game-ending 26-4 run. Meanwhile, Campbell opened the second half by outscoring the Lady Flames, 17-4.
• The contest was Liberty's 300th all-time game at the Vines Center, and the Lady Flames improved to 238-62 at the facility.
• Liberty outrebounded its ninth straight opponent, 47-37.
• The Lady Flames committed a season-low 13 turnovers and racked up 30 bench points.
• Freshman Mickayla Sanders topped all players with 13 points, leading four Lady Flames in double figures.
• Ashley Rininger scored in double digits for the 10th time this season, totaling 12 points.
• Catherine Kearney tied her season high with 11 points and grabbed eight rebounds.
• Reagan Miller came off the bench for 11 points and three made triples. Miller now ranks 50th in program history with 528 career points and ninth on the Lady Flames' all-time list with 101 made three-pointers.
• Katelyn Adams totaled eight points, a career high-equaling 12 rebounds and a game-high three blocked shots.
• Five different Lady Flames made three-pointers.