Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Lady Flames Open Conference Season with Win over UNC Asheville
Singles competition featured Liberty's Kathy Waldthausen claiming her first win as a Lady Flame. The transfer junior, who has battled injuries thus far this season, prevailed in a three-set match at No. 3 singles. The Lady Flames also saw Jonita Randolph win at No. 1 singles, as she ran her individual match winning streak to seven in a row. All told, Liberty won five of the six singles matches contested.
In doubles play, Liberty's Waldthausen and Ekaterina Kuznetsova won their second-consecutive doubles match, and the Lady Flames took two-of-three matches overall to win the point.
With the win, Liberty snaps a four-match losing streak, and the Lady Flames' 2006-07 record now stands at 3-4. They will continue their southeastern road swing on Wednesday, as they travel to Birmingham, Ala. to face the Panthers of Birmingham-Southern. Match time is scheduled for 1 p.m.
1. Jonita Randolph/Martyna Hanusz (LU) def. Rachel Rhoney/Louise Bottomley (UNCA) – 8-6
2. Ekaterina Kuznetsova/Kathy Waldthausen (LU) def. Leslie Smith/Tania Mateva (UNCA) – 8-4
3. Sara Marie Holland/Whitney Abbott (UNCA) def. Livia Branco/Daniela Dimas (LU) – 8-0
1. Jonita Randolph (LU) def. Leslie Smith (UNCA) – 6-7 (3), 6-1, 6-2
2. Ekaterina Kuznetsova (LU) def. Louise Bottomley (UNCA) – 6-4, 7-5
3. Kathy Waldthausen (LU) def. Rachel Rhoney (UNCA) – 6-0, 5-7, 6-4
4. Daniela Dimas (LU) def. Tania Mateva (UNCA) – 6-2, 1-6, 10-7
5. Martyna Hanusz (LU) def. Rachel Poole (UNCA) – 6-0, 6-2
6. Whitney Abbott (UNCA) def. Livia Branco (LU) – 6-2, 6-3