Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Basketball Home > News
MBB Game Day Central: Missouri State
Liberty continues play in the Corpus Christi Challenge on Tuesday, making a stop in Springfield, Mo., to take on Missouri State. The contest marks the first-ever game between the two squads. The Bears enter the meeting with a perfect 4-0 record after defeating Hampton, 81-67, on Sunday. Meanwhile, Liberty looks to get on the winning track after a current four-game skid. Tipoff for Tuesday's matchup is slated for 7:05 CST/8:05 EST.
News and Notes from Liberty vs. Virginia (Nov. 23, 2013)
- The Liberty men's basketball team stepped into John Paul Jones Arena, Saturday afternoon, squaring off with Virginia in its first contest of the Corpus Christi Challenge. While the Flames hung with the Cavaliers in the first half, a 20-0 Virginia run in the second stanza allowed the host to take the contest, 75-53.
- With the victory, Virginia now leads the all-time series against the Flames, 7-2. The contest was the first meeting between Liberty and the Cavaliers since the Flames upset the ACC member, 86-82 on Nov. 25, 2008.
- Davon Marshall led Liberty with a game-high 15 points, followed by Antwan Burrus, who chipped in 12. Anthony Gill and Joe Harris had 13 and 12 tallies, respectively, for the Cavaliers.
- Virginia shot 48.4 percent (30-of-62) for the contest, compared to 38.6 percent (17-of-44) for the Flames. The Cavaliers held a 27-21 edge from three-point range. Virginia won the battle inside, 32-16, outscoring the Flames in the paint, 24-8, in the second half.
- Liberty went a perfect 12-of-12 from the foul line, marking the first time the Flames shot 100 percent at the charity stripe since going 18-for-18 in a 74-65 win over Hampton on Dec. 17, 2011.
Notes and Anecdotes
- Liberty has only played two current Missouri Valley Conference members in program history. The last time the Flames squared off with an MVC member was on Dec. 5, 1996, as Liberty defeated Drake inside the Vines Center, 55-51.
- Liberty first matched up with Drake during the 1995-96 season, dropping its season opener to the Bulldogs, 80-59 (Nov. 24, 1995). The Flames first meeting with a current MVC member took place during Liberty's Division II era. Liberty took on Indiana State on Dec. 3, 1984, falling, 84-75. Back then, Liberty was a member of the Mason-Dixon Conference.
- Missouri State defeated Hampton, Sunday, 81-67. Following Liberty's meeting with the Bears, the Pirates are next up on the Flames' docket when they head to Corpus Christi, Texas. Game time between Liberty and Hampton on Friday is slated for 1 p.m. CST/2 p.m. EST.
- When the Bears make the trip to Corpus Christi, they could potentially face Virginia, who defeated the Flames, 75-53, Saturday.
- Head Coach Dale Layer is 3-1 all-time against current members of the MVC. During his coaching career, Layer's squads are 2-0 against Drake and 1-1 against Southern Illinois. In his first season as head coach at Colorado State, Layer's Rams also faced former MVC member Creighton. The Jays defeated the visiting Rams, 74-51 (Dec. 6, 2000).