Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Lady Flames Drop Match at Gardner-Webb
The Lady Bulldogs captured the doubles point, winning two of the three matches. At No. 1 doubles, the Gardner-Webb pairing of Laura Kriett and Amy Beavers defeated Jonita Randolph and Martyna Hanusz in a close match. Liberty rallied to win at No. 2, as Ekaterina Kuznetsova and Kathy Waldthausen won their match by a 8-6 count. The Lady Bulldogs closed out the point with an 8-4 win at No. 3 doubles.
In singles, Liberty's Jonita Randolph won her sixth-consecutive match to open the season, prevailing in a marathon contest at No. 1 singles. Ekaterina Kuznetsova won in a final-set tiebreak to capture No. 2 singles, but Gardner-Webb went on to win the remaining four contests to capture the day's match.
With the loss, Liberty's record now stands at 2-4. The Lady Flames continue their road trip on Monday, as they begin Big South Conference play by facing off against UNC Asheville. Match time in Asheville, N.C. is scheduled for 1 p.m.
1. Amy Beavers/Laura Kriett (GWU) def. Jonita Randolph/Martyna Hanusz (LU) – 9-7
2. Ekaterina Kuznetsova/Kathy Waldthausen (LU) def. Monica Walser/Jenny Gomez (GWU) – 8-6
3. Kasey Ellis/Carol Pancia (GWU) def. Livia Branco/Daniela Dimas (LU) – 8-4
1. Jonita Randolph (LU) def. Laura Kriett (GWU) – 6-4, 1-6, (12-10)
2. Ekaterina Kuznetsova (LU) def. Kasey Ellis (GWU) – 4-6, 6-1, (10-3)
3. Jenny Gomez (GWU) def. Kathy Waldthausen (LU) – 6-2, 6-1
4. Monica Walser (GWU) def. Daniela Dimas (LU) – 6-0, 6-2
5. Amy Beavers (GWU) def. Martyna Hanusz (LU) – 6-1, 7-5
6. Carol Pancia (GWU) def. Livia Branco (LU) – 7-5, 6-0