Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty Finishes 2013 Regular Season Schedule by Hosting Radford
RADFORD AT LIBERTY
Liberty Baseball Stadium (2,500)
Thursday - 7 p.m.
Friday - 7 p.m.
Saturday - 2 p.m.
Complete Baseball Game Notes
Coverage by the Flames Sports Network
Radio Broadcast: Thursday-Saturday - 90.9 FM "the Light"
Video: Thursday-Saturday - Big South Network
Audio Broadcast: FSN Radio Network
LIVE STATS (GameTracker)
Recognizing the Seniors
• Friday night, the Liberty baseball program and athletics will recognize the eight seniors playing in their final regular season home games in a Flames' uniform, this weekend.
• INF Bryan Aanderud, RHP Patrick Bankemper, RHP Justin Gunn, RHP Brooks Roy, OF/1B Justin Sizemore, 3B Dalton Sype, C Trey Wimmer and RHP Cody Young will be honored before the game.
SERIES WITH RADFORD: Thursday will be the 82nd meeting between Liberty and Radford on the baseball diamond. Liberty leads the all-time series, 52-29.
• Radford has been Liberty's second-most common opponent in program history. Only the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers have met the Flames more often on the diamond.\
• Friday night, the Liberty baseball program and athletics will recognize the eight seniors
playing in their final regular season home games in a Flames' uniform, this weekend.
• Entering the weekend, Liberty has posted a 18-7 mark in their first season at the Liberty Baseball Stadium. The stadium will host the 2013 Big South Baseball Championship, which begins next Tuesday.
• The Flames have posted a 1-5 record to open the month of May. Liberty is 50-29-1 (.631)
in the month of May under head coach Jim Toman. The Flames finished the month of April with a 9-9 mark.
• Liberty's 2-1 setback in 13 innings at Campbell, last Friday, was the longest game in innings for the Flames this season. The longest game in time was 4:01 in a 12-11, 10-inning win over James Madison, 4/10.
• The Flames finished their 2013 regular season road schedule with a 9-18 mark.
• Liberty enters the week, hitting .270 with runners in scoring position.
Liberty Baseball Stadium - the New Home of Flames Baseball
• The Flames have posted a 18-7 mark in their first season at the Liberty Baseball Stadium.
• After 34 years of playing at Worthington Stadium, the Flames christened the new facility on Feb. 23-24.
• Liberty opened the stadium with a three-game sweep of Penn State, Feb. 2/23-24 and went on to win their first seven games at the facility.
• The stadium will play host the 2013 Big South Baseball Championship, May 21-25
Grauer Breaks Out
• Over the last 10 games, DH/1B Danny Grauer has hit .419 to raise his batting average over .300. He enters this weekend with a .301 average for the year.
• The junior has also posted a .548 on base percentage during the span
• During the stretch, Grauer has connected for three home runs, including a grand slam. He leads the Flames with seven home runs for the season and is third in the Big South in the category.
• He also has added three doubles, posting an .806 slugging percentage during the span.
• During the stretch, Grauer collected at least one hit in seven consecutive games, the longest
consecutive game hit streak of his career (4/24-5/10).
• On 4/27, Grauer went 3-for-3 with six RBIs and four runs scored in game two of a doubleheader at VMI. All three of his hits were for extra bases, as the Liberty designated hitter connected for a grand slam, a two-run home run and a double. Both his RBI and runs scored totals were career highs.
Mr. Steady - Bryan Aanderud
• 2B Bryan Aanderud has continued to be a consistent presence in the Liberty lineup. Since joining the Liberty roster last season from Cypress, the senior has started every game at second base and has been among the team leaders in batting average, hits and RBIs.
• 2B Bryan Aanderud posted a career-high consecutive game hit streak of 16 games, 4/7-27. The hit streak is the longest by a Flame this season.
• During the streak, the senior hit .404 and had a .446 on base percentage. The 2B raised his batting average 27 points over the span.
• Aanderud enters the weekend, leading the Flames in batting average and is third in RBIs. He also has 21 multi-hit games to tie for the team lead.
• Last year, he lead Liberty in both batting average and RBIs. He also collected the most multiple-hit (26) and multiple-RBI (15) games of any Flame.
• Aanderud enters the weekend among the Big South leaders in several categories:
• Batting Average (.322) - 11th
• Hits (66) - 5th
• RBIs (33) - Tied 9th
• On Base Percentage (.403) - 12th
Flames Clubhouse Report
• Join the Flames Sports Network's Nick Pierce each week for an look at Flames Baseball.
• The audio show is available at LibertyFlames.com each Tuesday or Wednesday throughout the season.
• Pierce, who bring you all the action of Liberty Flames baseball, takes a look back at the previous week, along with comments from Liberty head coach Jim Toman and key Flames.