Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty to Host Duke, Sunday
DUKE AT LIBERTY
Liberty Baseball Stadium (2,500)
Sunday - 3 p.m.
Complete Baseball Game Notes
Coverage by the Flames Sports Network
Radio Broadcast: 90.9 FM "The Light"
Audio Broadcast: FSN Radio Network
Video Streaming: Big South Network
LIVE STATS (GameTracker)
SERIES WITH DUKE: Sunday's meeting is the ninth between the two teams on the diamond. The all-time series is even at 4-4.
• Liberty and Duke have not met since 2010. Last year, the Flames and Blue Devils were scheduled to meet in Durham, N.C., but inclement weather force the cancelation of the contest.
• After not playing since 1998, the series has been renewed during Liberty head coach Jim
Toman's tenure. The series started back up in 2009. The Flames have split four games with the Blue Devils during Toman's six years at Liberty .
• Liberty finished the month of April at 9-9. The Flames fell to Maryland, 4-2, to open May at 0-1, Tuesday, Liberty is 49-25-1 (.660) in the month of May during head coach Jim Toman's five previous seasons at Liberty.
• Liberty enters Sunday's contest with a 17-7 record in its first season of play at the Liberty Baseball Stadium.
• Liberty had its four-game winning streak snapped on Tuesday. During the streak, the Flames have hit 10 home runs, including three grand slams.
• Liberty swept a three-game Big South series at VMI this past weekend, the Flames' first road weekend sweep since taking three at Presbyterian College last season (March 16-18).
• Liberty 1B Alex Close was named both the Big South and ECAC Players of the Week for the week ending April 28.
• Liberty saw its four-game win streak come to a halt on Tuesday. The Flames fell 4-2 to Maryland at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
• DH Danny Grauer and SS Dalton Britt each had two hits for the Flames, Tuesday. Grauer also drove in a run and was the pitcher of record in the game.
• RF Ashton Perritt had a hit, walked, scored twice and stole two bases, Tuesday.
• After posting at least one hit in each of Liberty's wins last weekend to run his hitting streak to a career-high 16 games, 2B Bryan Aanderud saw his streak come to end. Tuesday. The steak is the longest by a Flame this season.
• Monday, 1B Alex Close was named the Big South Player of the Week. Close hit .435 with 14 RBIs over a five-game span last week. Close also hit two home runs and collected four multiple-hit and multiple-RBI games during the span. He also earned ECAC Player honors.
• Liberty swept a three-game Big South series at VMI last weekend, the Flames' first road weekend sweep since taking three at Presbyterian College last season (March 16-18).
• DH Danny Grauer went 3-for-3 with six RBIs and four runs scored in game two of a doubleheader at VMI, 4/27. All three of his hits were for extra bases, as the Liberty designated hitter connected for a grand slam, a two-run home run and a double. He now leads the Flames with seven home runs on the year.
• In game one of a doubleheader at VMI, OF Ryan Cordell hit his second grand slam of the season. Cordell now leads the Flames with 35 RBIs. He also leads the Big South with 17 two-out RBIs.
• Making his second start of 2013, RHP Josh Richardson pitched a complete-game shutout in a 4-0 win over VMI, 4/26. The RHP gave up three hits in pitching the first complete game in his career. He also struck out a career-high eight batters and did not walk a batter.
Liberty Baseball Stadium - the New Home of Flames Baseball
• The Flames have posted a 17-7 mark in their first season at the Liberty Baseball Stadium.
• After 34 years of playing at Worthington Stadium, the Flames christened the new facility on Feb. 23-24.
• Liberty opened the stadium with a three-game sweep of Penn State, Feb. 2/23-24 and went on to win their first seven games at the facility.
• When completed in June, the stadium will have 2,500 chairback seats, a turf playing field, a operations center for the baseball program and a fully functional press area.
• The stadium will play host the 2013 Big South Baseball Championship, May 21-25
• Over the years, the Flames were rather successful on their home field at Worthington
Close Named Big South and ECAC Player of the Week
• Liberty first baseman Alex Close has been named the Big South and ECAC Player of the Week for games played April 22-28.
• Close hit .435 with 14 RBIs and two home runs. The 1B had at least one hit in each of the Flames' five games and posted four multi-RBI contests.
• After starting the week with two hits and two RBIs at Maryland on Tuesday, Close drove in a career-high six runs with three hits in a 17-10 victory at Old Dominion on Wednesday. One of his hits in the contest was a grand slam, his first home run of the season.
• Close then capped the week by collecting at least one hit in each of the Flames' three contests at VMI. In Friday night's 4-0 win over the Keydets, the first baseman had a hit and scored a run. On Saturday, he had two hits in each game of Liberty's doubleheader sweep. In the first game, Close drove in four runs with two hits and a double. In the second game, he had two hits, one a home run, and two RBIs.
Grauer Breaks Out
• Over the past 10 games, DH/1B Danny Grauer has hit .417 to raise his batting average for the year to .301.
• During the stretch, Grauer has connected for four home runs, including a grand slam. He leads the Flames with seven home runs for the season.
• He also added two doubles to post an .833 slugging percentage during the span.
• Last weekend, Grauer went 3-for-3 with six RBIs and four runs scored in game two of a doubleheader at VMI. All three of his hits were for extra bases, as the Liberty designated hitter connected for a grand slam, a two-run home run and a double. Both his RBI and runs scored totals were career highs.
• Starting the weekend, the junior is among the Big South leaders in RBIs (Tied - 4th), home runs (tied - 2nd) and slugging pct. (4th).
Mr. Steady - Bryan Aanderud
• 2B Bryan Aanderud's hit streak came to halt at 16 consecutive games, Tuesday. The streak is the longest such streak of his career.
• During the streak, the senior hit .404 and had a .446 on base percentage.
• The 2B has raised his batting average 27 points over the span.
• Aanderud enters the weekend, leading the Flames in batting average and is third in RBIs.
• Against West Virginia, the senior posted back-to-back three-hit games, 4/13 and 4/14. The 2B has posted five three-hit games this season.
• Last year, he collected the most multiple-hit (26) and multiple-RBI (15) games of any Flame. This season, he leads Liberty with 19 multi-hit games
• Aanderud enters the weekend among the Big South leaders in several categories:
• Batting Average (.337) - 10th
• Hits (62) - 3rd
• RBIs (32) - Tied 7th
Flames Clubhouse Report
• Join the Flames Sports Network's Nick Pierce each week for an look at Flames Baseball.
• The audio show is available at LibertyFlames.com each Tuesday or Wednesday throughout the season.
• Pierce, who bring you all the action of Liberty Flames baseball, takes a look back at the previous week, along with comments from Liberty head coach Jim Toman and key Flames.