Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Lady Flames Fall to Winthrop in Big South Semifinals
Liberty's bid to reach the Big South Women's Tennis Championship title match fell short on Friday, as the No. 4 seed Lady Flames fell to No. 1 seed Winthrop, 4-0, at the Winthrop Memorial Tennis Courts. Liberty concludes the season with an 11-11 overall record in its first year under the direction of head coach Jeff Maren. The Eagles improve to 17-9 and advance to tomorrow's title match against the winner of No. 2 seed Charleston Southern and No. 3 seed Campbell, which will be played later today.
Yasmine Alkema and Andressa Garcia of Winthrop won the first doubles match of the afternoon, defeating the Lady Flames' tandem of Rebekah Jenkins and Nicola Wellman, 8-0, in the No. 1 spot. In the No. 3 position, Caitlin Cridland and Tijana Uzelac knocked off Liberty's Cameron Richard and Valerie Thong, 8-5, to claim the doubles point for the Eagles.
Winthrop completed the sweep after registering wins in the No. 1, No. 2 and No. 6 positions. Alkema downed Richard, 6-1, 6-0, in the No. 1 match, before Jenkins fell to Andressa Garcia, 6-1, 6-1 at No. 2. The clinching point came from Uzelac in the No. 6 spot. The Eagles' freshman ousted the Lady Flames' Annisha Domenech, 6-1, 6-2.
With the contest already decided, the remaining singles matches were ruled unfinished. In the No. 3 position, Alice Garcia led Wellman, 6-2, 1-1, while Portiolli was on top of Thong, 6-1, 4-0 at No. 4. The No. 5 match between Cridland and Yang was going the way of the Eagles, 6-2, 1-0, before the contest was called.
Winthrop 4, Liberty 0
1. Alkema/Andressa Garcia (WU) def. Jenkins/Wellman (LU), 8-0
2. Alice Garcia/Portiolli (WU) vs. Boda/Yang (LU), 6-5 DNF
3. Cridland/Uzelac (WU) def. Richard/Thong (LU), 8-5
1. Alkema (WU) def. Richard (LU), 6-1, 6-0
2. Andressa Garcia (WU) def. Jenkins (LU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Alice Garcia (WU) vs. Wellman (LU), 6-2, 1-1 DNF
4. Portiolli (WU) vs. Thong (LU), 6-1, 4-0 DNF
5. Cridland (WU) vs. Yang (LU), 6-2, 1-0 DNF
6. Uzelac (WU) def. Domenech (LU), 6-1, 6-2