Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty Hosts West Virginia for Weekend Series
WEST VIRGINIA AT LIBERTY
Liberty Baseball Stadium (2,500)
Friday - 7 p.m.
Saturday - 4 p.m.
Sunday - 2 p.m.
Complete Baseball Game Notes
Coverage by the Flames Sports Network
Friday - Sunday: ESPN 3 - National Coverage
The Liberty Channel - Local Coverage
Video Streaming: Friday-Sunday - Big South Network
LIVE STATS (GameTracker)
Weekend Series to be Televised
• This weekend's three-game series between Liberty and West Virginia will be televised live by the Flames Sports Network (FSN)/Liberty Channel. The FSN broadcasts will also air on ESPN 3.
• Nick Pierce and Alan York will handle play-by-play and provide commentary for each of the three-games of the series.
• Liberty's Big South series with Winthrop, next weekend at the Liberty Baseball Stadium, will also be televised live. The FSN will broadcast each game of the series. The games will also air on ESPN 3.
• SERIES WITH WEST VIRGINIA: Friday will be the fourth meeting between West Virginia and Liberty on the baseball diamond. However, the two teams have not met since 1979. West Virginia leads the all-time series, 2-1.
• This weekend's series will be the first three-game set between the two teams. The previous meetings were single games.
• The Flames have not played a member of the Big 12 Conference since losing to Kansas State in a tournament in Florida on March 16, 1989.
• Liberty is 13-3 (.813) at the new Liberty Baseball Stadium and have a 99-46-1 (.731) at home under head coach Jim Toman.
• Liberty enters the weekend, hitting .293 with runners in scoring position.
• Liberty catcher Trey Wimmer has been added to the Johnny Bench Award Watch List, the Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission announced this past Tuesday. The award honors annually the nation's top collegiate catcher based on athletic ability, sportsmanship, team
leadership and character.
• Liberty's game at Coastal Carolina last Saturday began a stretch of eight games in nine days for the Flames.
• Liberty's game at Coastal Carolina this past Saturday began a stretch of eight games in nine days for the Flames.
• C Trey Wimmer was added to the 2013 Johnny Bench Award Watch List, Tuesday. The award goes each year to the college baseball's top catcher.
• Wednesday night at No. 1-ranked North Carolina, Liberty rallied for four runs in the ninth, but fell to the Tar Heels, 7-5.
• In the game, OF Ashton Perritt his second home run of the season.
• Freshman LHP Robert Gray made his first collegiate start on Wednesday at North Carolina.
• Tuesday, Liberty came back from a 6-0 deficit after two innings for a 12-11, 10 inning win over James Madison. Liberty collected a season-high 18 hits in the contest.
• DH Danny Grauer had four hits, including two home runs and a double, and drove in four runs in Liberty's win over James Madison.
• OF Ryan Cordell also belted a home run, collected two RBIs and scored three runs for Liberty.
• Wimmer added four hits, a RBI and scored twice in the contest. It was the first time this season, the C had four hits in a game.
• Perritt collected two hits in each of the first two games of the Coastal Carolina series. The OF also hit the first home run of his career, this past Sunday night. He also had a hit on Monday to bat .417 for the series.
• This past Sunday evening at Coastal Carolina, LHP Jared Lyons pitched 5 2/3 scoreless innings of relief. It was the longest relief appearance of Lyons' career. He struck out a career-high seven Coastal Carolina batters in the outing.
Liberty Baseball Stadium - the New Home of Flames Baseball
• The Flames have posted a 13-3 mark in their first season at the Liberty Baseball Stadium.
• After 34 years of playing at Worthington Stadium, the Flames christened the new facility on Feb. 23-24.
• Liberty opened the stadium with a three-game sweep of Penn State, Feb. 2/23-24 and went on to win their first seven games at the facility.
Wimmer Added to Johnny Bench Award Watch List
• Liberty catcher Trey Wimmer has been added to the Johnny Bench Award Watch List, the Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission announced this past Tuesday.
• The award honors annually the nation's top collegiate catcher based on athletic ability, sportsmanship, team leadership and character.
• Three semifinalists will be determined in May by a selection committee and a vote of all
Division I head coaches, held during the College World Series, will determine the award's recipient.
• C Trey Wimmer enters the weekend among the Big South leaders in several offensive
• Batting Average (.352) - 7th
• Hits (44) - Tied 6th
• RBIs (26) - Tied 6th
• Slugging Percentage (.552) - 5th
• Doubles (13) - Tied 1st
• Triples (3) - Tied 1st
• Total Bases (69) - 4th
• Hitting with Runners on Base (.455) - 1st
• Average in RBI Opportunities (.472) - 2nd
• Defensively, he has thrown out 50 percent of runners attempting to steal a base.
• The catcher leads the Flames in batting average, hits, slugging percentage, doubles, triples and total bases.
Flames Clubhouse Report
• Join the Flames Sports Network's Nick Pierce each week for an look at Flames Baseball.
• The audio show is available at LibertyFlames.com each Tuesday or Wednesday throughout the season.
• Pierce, who bring you all the action of Liberty Flames baseball, takes a look back at the previous week, along with comments from Liberty head coach Jim Toman and key Flames.