Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty Travels to Coastal Carolina for Big South Series
LIBERTY AT COASTAL CAROLINA
TicketReturn.com Field at Pelicans Ballpark (5,200)
Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Saturday - Noon
Sunday - 7:30 p.m.
Monday - Noon
Saturday - ESPNU/WatchESPN.com - National Coverage
Coverage by the Flames Sports Network
Radio Broadcast: Saturday-Monday - 90.9 FM "the Light"
Video: Saturday-Monday - Big South Network
Audio Broadcast: Saturday - Monday - FSN Radio Network
LIVE STATS (GameTracker)
• Despite strong pitching efforts by Liberty RHPs Josh Richardson and Ashton Perritt, No. 4 Virginia edged the Flames, 2-0, Tuesday
• Richardson, making his first start of the year took the loss. The right-hander allowed two runs on three hits over four innings. He had not given up a run in five previous relief
• Perritt took over in the fifth inning and finished the contest for the Flames. The sophomore did not allow a hit or run over final five frames. He struck out a career-high six Cavaliers and did not walk a batter.
• Richardson and Perritt combined to strike out 10 Cavaliers and limited them to three hits.
• Tuesday's contest between Virginia and Liberty at Liberty Baseball Stadium was sold out. It was the first time the Cavaliers played in Lynchburg since April 5, 2005.
• RHP Trey Lambert carried a perfect game into the eighth inning of Liberty's 8-1 win over Longwood in game two of a doubleheader, 3/30 Lambert ran his record to 5-1, allowing one run on three hits over eight innings. He also set a career-high with nine strikeouts.
• 1B Danny Grauer went 4-for-4 with two doubles and four RBIs in Liberty's game two win, 3/31. It was Grauer's first four-hit and four-RBI game as a Flame.
• RHP Carson Herndon pitched the first complete game of his career in an 8-1 win over
Longwood, 3/29. Herndon struck out a career-high nine batters in the game.
• OF Nick Paxton had three hits, including a RBI triple for the Flames in the win.
• SERIES WITH COASTAL CAROLINA: Saturday will be the 82nd meeting all-time between the two teams. Coastal Carolina leads the all-time series, 53-28.
• The last time the two teams met, Coastal Carolina defeated Liberty, 4-1, at Coy O. Willard Stadium in High Point, N.C. in the title game of the Big South Baseball Championship, 5/26/12.
• Liberty and Coastal Carolina have met in four out of the last six Big South Baseball
Championship title games (2007, 2008, 2010 & 2012.), including last season's title game.
• Coastal Carolina is Liberty's second-most common opponent in program history, entering the
series. The Flames have played Radford one more time than the Chanticleers all-time.
• Liberty has started the month of March with 12-10 (.545) record. The Flames are 73-44 (.623)
under head coach Jim Toman during the month.
• Liberty is 12-3 (.800) at the new Liberty Baseball Stadium and 5-9 (.357) on the road this season.
Wimmer Among the Big South Leaders
• C Trey Wimmer enters the week among the Big South leaders in several offensive categories.
• Wimmer ranks fourth in the conference in RBIs (24), eighth in batting average (.361), and tied for sixth in hits (38) .
• He is second the Big South in hitting with runners on base (.458).
• The senior is fifth in slugging percentage (.574), fourth in total bases (62) and third in doubles (11) in the Big South.
• Defensively, he leads the conference in percentage of runners thrown out with a 53 percent caught stealing rate.
• The catcher leads the Flames in each of the categories.
Paxton Takes One for the Team
• OF Nick Paxton enters the weekend having been hit by a pitch 11 times.
• Not only does the junior OF lead the Big South in the category, but he began the week 14th in the country in the latest NCAA statistical rankings (3/31).
• Paxton is also among the Big South leaders in advancing runners. He is currently seventh with a .623 success rate.
Bryan Aanderud - Mr. Steady
• After being among the Big South leaders in several offensive categories last season, 2B Bryan Aanderud is back among the conference leaders again.
• A 2012 Big South All-Conference member, Aanderud finished third in the conference in batting average (.368), hits (81), RBIs (53) and on base percentage (.471) last season.
• This season, the senior is eighth in batting average (.362), while ranking ninth in RBIs (22). He also is 11th in the conference with a .621 success rate in advancing baserunners.
• After posting a .967 fielding percentage in 2012, making nine errors in 295 chances, Aanderud is again providing reliable defense at second base. The senior has made only two errors in 126 chances his season for a .984 fielding percentage.
Flames Clubhouse Report
• Join the Flames Sports Network's Nick Pierce each week for an look at Flames Baseball.
• The audio show is available at LibertyFlames.com each Tuesday or Wednesday throughout the season.
• Pierce, who bring you all the action of Liberty Flames baseball, takes a look back at the previous week, along with comments from Liberty head coach Jim Toman and key Flames.