Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty to Host No. 4 Virginia for Sold Out Contest
No. 4 VIRGINIA AT LIBERTY
Liberty Baseball Stadium (2,500)
Tuesday - 6 p.m.
Complete Baseball Game Notes
Coverage by the Flames Sports Network
Liberty Channel - Local Coverage
ESPN 3 - National Coverage
Video: Big South Network
LIVE STATS (GameTracker)
Contest Sold Out
• Tuesday's contest between the Virginia Cavaliers and the Liberty Flames at Liberty Baseball
Stadium is sold out.
• It will be the fi rst time the Cavaliers have come to Lynchburg for a game since April 5, 2005.
Virginia-Liberty to be Televised
• Tuesday's game between No. 4 Virginia and Liberty at Liberty Baseball Stadium will be televised on FSN Television/Liberty Channel and ESPN 3.
• It will be the first appearance for the Flames on TV this season.
• Nick Pierce and Alan York will provide the play-by-play.
• The Flames will also appear on ESPN 3 on this Saturday at Coastal Carolina from Pelican Park in Myrtle Beach. The contest will be the middle game of a three-game Big South Series. First pitch is scheduled for Noon.
• Liberty's three-game series with West Virginia, April 12-14 and Big South series with Winthrop, April 19-21 at the Liberty Baseball Stadium will also be televised by FSN Television/Liberty Channel.
• RHP Trey Lambert carried a perfect game into the eighth inning of Liberty's 8-1 win over Longwood in game two of a doubleheader, Saturday. Lambert ended up running his record to 5-1, allowing one run on three hits over eight innings. He also set a career-high with nine strikeouts.
• 1B Danny Grauer went 4-for-4 with two doubles and four RBIs in Liberty's game two win, Saturday. It was Grauer's first four-hit and four-RBI game as a Flame.
• DH Justin Sizemore had two doubles and scored twice in the same game.
• RHP Carson Herndon pitched the first complete game of his career in an 8-1 win over
Longwood, Friday night. Herndon struck out a career-high nine batters in the game.
• OF Nick Paxton had three hits, including a RBI triple for the Flames in the Friday win.
• SS Dalton Britt added two hits, including a bases loaded double in the game.
• RHP/OF Ashton Perritt and INF Jake Kimble received their first starts of 2013, Saturday. Perritt started both ends of the doubleheader in the outfield, while Kimble was at third base for both games.
• SERIES WITH VIRGINIA: Virginia leads all-time series, 30-20-1.
• Virginia is making its first visit to Lynchburg since April 5, 2005.
• Second meeting between the two this season. Then-No.12 Virginia defeated Liberty, 7-2, in Charlottesville on March 13, 2013.
• Liberty has started the month of March with 12-9 (.571) record. The Flames are 73-43 (.629)
under head coach Jim Toman during the month.
• Liberty is 12-2 (.857) at the new Liberty baseball stadium.
• Liberty enters the week, hitting .295 with runners in scoring position.
Wimmer Among the Big South Leaders
• C Trey Wimmer enters the week among the Big South leaders in several offensive categories.
• Wimmer ranks fourth in the conference in RBIs (24), seventh in batting average (.362), and tied for sixth in hits (38) .
• He is second the Big South in hitting with runners on base (.458).
• The senior is fifth in slugging percentage (.571) and his 10 doubles rank third in the Big South.
• The catcher leads the Flames in each of the categories.
Paxton Takes One for the Team
• OF Nick Paxton enters the week having been hit by a pitch 11 times.
• Not only does the junior OF lead the Big South in the category, but he began the week fifth in the country in the latest NCAA statistical rankings (3/23).
• Paxton is also among the Big South leaders in advancing runners. He is currently sixth with a .629 success rate.
Bryan Aanderud - Mr. Steady
• After being among the Big South leaders in several offensive categories, 2B Bryan Aanderud is back among the conference leader again.
• A 2012 Big South All-Conference member, Aanderud finished third in the conference in batting average (.368), hits (81), RBIs (53) and on base percentage (.471) last season.
• This season, the senior is 11th in batting average (.336) and on base percentage (.434), while ranking seventh in RBIs (22).
Flames Clubhouse Report
• Join the Flames Sports Network's Nick Pierce each week for an look at Flames Baseball.
• The audio show is available at LibertyFlames.com each Tuesday or Wednesday throughout the season.
• Pierce, who bring you all the action of Liberty Flames baseball, takes a look back at the previous week, along with comments from Liberty head coach Jim Toman and key Flames.