Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty Hosts Longwood for Big South Baseball Series
LONGWOOD AT LIBERTY
Liberty Baseball Stadium (2,500)
Friday - 6 p.m.
Saturday - DH - 1 p.m.
Complete Baseball Game Notes
Coverage by the Flames Sports Network
Radio Broadcast: Saturday - 90.9 FM "the Light"
Video: Friday & Saturday - Big South Network
LIVE STATS (GameTracker)
• SERIES WITH Longwood - Liberty leads the all-time series, 16-3
• Liberty leads the series, 12-1-1 in Lynchburg, Va.
• The two teams have not met since 2009.
• This weekend will be the first time that Liberty and Longwood have met as conference
opponents. Longwood joined the Big South Conference last fall.
• Liberty has started the month of March with 10-8 (.556) record. The Flames are 71-42 (.628)
under head coach Jim Toman during the month.
• Liberty is 10-1 (.909) at the new Liberty baseball stadium. The Flames swept Charleston Southern in their last homestand, 3/15-17.
• Liberty enters the week, hitting .300 with runners in scoring position.
• Liberty Flames head coach Jim Toman recorded his 200th victory with an 8-4 win over Charleston Southern, March 16.
• Toman joins Al Worthington as the only two coaches to win 200 games in program history. He currently holds a .638 winning percentage in his five-plus seasons with the Flames.
• The Flames are 6-1 in games played on Sundays and have outscored its opponents on the first day of the week, 43 to 23.
• C Trey Wimmer collected two hits on Wednesday to extend his career-high hit streak to 13 games. He currently leads the Flames with a .396 batting average and 23 RBIs.
• Wimmer's 13-game hit streak is the longest such streak by a Flame this season.
• OF Justin Sizemore had two hits, including a double, after entering the game in the sixth inning, Wednesday.
• LHP Robert Gray made his 10th appearance of the year on Wednesday. The freshman pitched a scoreless inning. He has not allowed an earned run in his appearances this season.
• OF Ryan Cordell drove in a run with two outs on Wednesday to run his total to 13 two-out RBIs. Cordell leads the Big South in the category.
• Liberty rallied for three runs with two outs in the ninth at High Point in game one of a doubleheader, last Friday. Cordell's double scored the go-ahead run in the top of the ninth, as the Flames went on to a 5-4 victory.
• 2B Bryan Aanderud started the comeback with a single with runners on the corners and two out.
• RHP Josh Richardson evened his record at 1-1 on the year, with 2 2/3 innings of relief in Liberty's win at High Point, last Friday. Richardson has not allowed an earned run in his last five appearances.
Wimmer Among the Big South Leaders
• C Trey Wimmer enters the weekend among the Big South leaders in several offensive categories.
• Wimmer ranks third in the conference in batting average (.396) , tied for third in hits (36) and tied for fourth in RBIs (23).
• He leads the Big South in hitting with runners in scoring position (.500).
• The senior is second in slugging percentage (.602) and his 10 doubles rank are tied for third in the Big South.
• The catcher leads the Flames in each of the categories.
Taking One for the Team
• OF Nick Paxton enters the weekend having been hit by a pitch 11 times.
• Not only does the junior OF lead the Big South in the category, but he began the week fifth in the country in the latest NCAA statistical rankings (3/23).
• Paxton also leads the Flames with 10 stolen bases. He is currently tied for third in the Big South in the category.
Virginia-Liberty to be Televised
• Tuesday's game between No. 5 Virginia and Liberty at Liberty Baseball Stadium will be
televised on ESPN 3 and the FSN Television/Liberty Channel.
• It will be the first appearance for the Flames on TV this season.
• Liberty's three-game series with West Virginia (4/12-14) and Winthrop (4/19-21) will also be televised by the FSN Television/Liberty Channel.
• The Flames will also appear on ESPN 3 on April 6 at Coastal Carolina.
Flames Clubhouse Report
• Join the Flames Sports Network's Nick Pierce each week for an look at Flames Baseball.
• The audio show is available at LibertyFlames.com each Tuesday or Wednesday throughout the season.
• Pierce, who bring you all the action of Liberty Flames baseball, takes a look back at the previous week, along with comments from Liberty head coach Jim Toman and key Flames.