Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty Faces James Madison in Midweek Tilt
LIBERTY AT JAMES MADISON
Veterans Memorial Park (1,200)
Wednesday - 4 p.m.
Complete Baseball Game Notes
Coverage by the Flames Sports Network
• SERIES WITH James Madison - James Madison leads, 34-29, in the all-time series.
• James Madison has been the most frequently played non-conference opponent in Liberty baseball program history.
• Last season, Liberty defeated James Madison in all three meetings between the two teams.
• Liberty has started the month of March with 10-7 (.588) record. The Flames are 71-41 (.634) under head coach Jim Toman during the month.
• Liberty enters Wednesday's game with a 5-8 record on the road this season.
• The Flames have posted an 11-3 record while playing in the Commonwealth of Virginia this season.
• Liberty enters the week, hitting .291 with runners in scoring position.
Wimmer Among the Big South Leaders
• C Trey Wimmer enters the week among the Big South leaders in several offensive categories.
• Wimmer ranks third in the conference in batting average (.386) , fourth in hits (34) and fifth in RBIs (21).
• He leads the Big South in hitting with runners in scoring position (.488).
• The senior's nine doubles rank second in the Big South and is fifth in slugging percentage (.602).
• The catcher leads the Flames in each of the categories.
• OF Ryan Cordell's double with two-out in ninth ining scored the go-ahead run, as the Flames scored three runs in the inning, en route to a a 5-4 win over High Point, this past Friday in game one of a doubleheader at High Point.
• Cordell is tied with C Trey Wimmer for the Flames lead with 21 RBIs. He is tied for the Big South lead with 12 two-out RBIs.
• OF Nick Paxton leads the Flames with 18 runs scored and 10 stolen bases.
• The OF has been hit by a pitch 11 times to rank fifth in the nation.
• RHP Ashton Perritt worked out of a bases loaded jam and recieved help with a diving catch by LF Lacik, an outstanding defensive play, to seal the win and record his third save of the year, this past Friday.
• Earlier in the week, Perritt saw his first action in the field at Virginia Tech, 3/19. He had two hits and scored a run.
• RHP Josh Richardson threw 2 1/2 innings of relief to even his record at 1-1. Richardson has not allowed an earned run in his last five appearances.
• After two appearances this past weekend at High Point, freshman LHP Robert Gray has not allowed an earned run in nine appearances this season.
Virginia-Liberty to be Televised
• Tuesday's game between No. 11 Virginia and Liberty at Liberty Baseball Stadium will be
televised on ESPN 3 and the FSN Television/Liberty Channel.
• It will be the first appearance for the Flames on TV this season.
• Liberty's three-game series with West Virginia (4/12-14) and Winthrop (4/19-21) will also be televised by the FSN Television/Liberty Channel.
• The Flames will also appear on ESPN 3 on April 6 at Coastal Carolina.
Flames Clubhouse Report
• Join the Flames Sports Network's Nick Pierce each week for an look at Flames Baseball.
• The audio show is available at LibertyFlames.com each Tuesday or Wednesday throughout the season.
• Pierce, who bring you all the action of Liberty Flames baseball, takes a look back at the previous week, along with comments from Liberty head coach Jim Toman and key Flames.