Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Liberty Falls to Big South Foe Winthrop
The Liberty Lady Flames tennis team saw its three-match road winning streak snapped on Friday afternoon, falling to the Winthrop Eagles, 7-0, at the Winthrop Memorial Tennis Courts.
The loss drops Liberty to 3-2 in Big South conference matches and 6-7 overall. Winthrop improves to 7-9 on the season and remains perfect in Big South matches, at 2-0.
Winthrop began the afternoon with wins in the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles positions. Liberty's Brittany Yang and Jessie Boda lost for the first time in nine matches, losing to Caitlin Cridland and Ekin Gunaysu, 8-1. Rebekah Jenkins and Nicola Wellman fell to the Eagles' Giovanna Portoli and Alice Garcia 8-2.
In singles play, Liberty pushed a trio of matches to three sets. Richard, playing in the No. 2 position for the second time this season, lost to Alice Garcia, 6-1, 6-7, 6-2. Wellman was ousted by Gridland 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 in the No. 4 spot. Jessie Boda, making her first start of the year in the No. 5 spot, was knocked off by Gunaysu, 6-3, 2-6, 6-0.
Rebekah Jenkins fell to Andressa Garcia, 7-6, 6-2, in the first match of the season in the No. 1 position for the Liberty junior. The Lady Flames' Annisha Domenech lost for the first time in four matches, 7-6, 6-2, to Uzelac. In the No. 3 spot, Portioli downed Yang, 6-1, 6-0.
"A lot of credit goes to Winthrop for playing well when it counted most," commented Liberty head coach Jeff Maren. "We put ourselves in position to win sets and matches, but didn't execute. Our goal has always been to peak in April and I believe that this match will move us closer to that goal."
Liberty continues Big South play tomorrow at Gardner-Webb, beginning at 12:30 p.m.
Winthrop 7, Liberty 0
1. Portioli/Alice Garcia (WU) def. Jenkins/Wellman (LU), 8-2
2. Cridland/Gunaysu (WU) def. Boda/Yang (LU), 8-1
3. Richard/Thong (LU) def. Andressa Garcia/Uzelac (LU), 8-4
1. Andressa Garcia (WU) def. Jenkins (LU), 7-6, 6-2
2. Alice Garcia (WU) def. Richard (LU), 6-1, 6-7, 6-2
3. Portioli (WU) def. Yang (LU), 6-1, 6-0
4. Cridland (WU) def. Wellman (LU), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
5. Gunaysu (WU) def. Boda (LU), 6-3, 2-6, 6-0
6. Uzelac (WU) def. Domenech (LU), 7-6, 6-2