Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty Travels to Virginia Tech for Midweek Contest, Tuesday
LIBERTY AT VIRGINIA TECH
English Field (1,033)
Tuesday - 5:30 p.m.
Complete Baseball Game Notes
Coverage by the Flames Sports Network
Radio Broadcast: 90.9 FM "The Light"
• This past weekend, Liberty opened Big South play with a three-game sweep of Charleston Southern
• C Trey Wimmer lead the way for the Flames, hitting .500 , with eight RBIs and four extra base hits in the three-game series. On Friday, he hit his second home run of the year in Liberty's 8-2 win. The C is currently on an eight-game hitting streak, fueled by a six-game span in which he had two hits in each contest.
• Danny Grauer's first home run came in dramatic fashion, Sunday. With Liberty trailing 1-0 and two outs in the seventh, Grauer ripped the first pitch he saw over the left field wall for a three-run home run in Liberty's 3-1 win over Charleston Southern. Grauer also had a bases-clearing single, Friday.
• RHP Trey Lambert became the first Liberty pitcher to go the full nine innings this season, running his record to 4-0 on the year on Sunday. The complete game was the first of the junior's career. The Flames RHP retired the first 10 Buccaneer batters on the afternoon and allowed the visitors only one hit through the first six innings. For the game, he allowed one run on three hits and struck out a career-high six batters.
• RHP Brooks Roy moved to 3-1 on the year, Saturday. After allowing a single to open the top of the second, the senior retired 13 Buccaneer batters in a row. He ended up allowing two runs on five hits over 6 2/3 innings.
• Liberty and Virginia Tech have met every year since 1979.
• Liberty opened its Big South Conference schedule with a three-game sweep of Charleston Southern this past weekend.
• Liberty is 34-28 in Big South opening three-game series.
• With the home sweep, the Flames are 10-1 at the new Liberty Baseball Stadium this season.
• Liberty has started the month of March with 9-4 (.600) record. The Flames are 3376-289-2 (.564) all-time in the month of March. Liberty is 70-38 (.648) under head coach Jim Toman.
• Liberty enters the week, hitting .299 with runners in scoring position.
Toman Reaches 200
• Liberty Flames head coach Jim Toman posted his 200th career win on Saturday.
• Toman is only the second of the six coaches in program history to reach the milestone. Liberty's first head coach Al Worthington is the other, having posted 343 wins during 13 seasons.
• Toman has posted the highest NCAA Division I winning percentage (.633) during his first five years in Lynchburg of any head baseball coach in program history.
• The Flames have posted the top two season win totals in program history during Toman's tenure, posting a school record with 43 victories in 2010 and 41 victories in 2012
• After splitting a pair of road games on Tuesday and Wednesday this past week, Liberty is now 4-5 on the road this year.
• Last season, the Flames finished the year with a 21-9 record away from Lynchburg.
• The Flames were 13-7 in road contests, while posting an 8-2 mark in neutral site games.
Flames Clubhouse Report
• Join the Flames Sports Network's Nick Pierce each week for an look at Flames Baseball.
• The audio show is available at LibertyFlames.com each Tuesday or Wednesday throughout the season.
• Pierce, who bring you all the action of Liberty Flames baseball, takes a look back at the previous week, along with comments from Liberty head coach Jim Toman and key Flames.