Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Basketball Home > News
WBB Game Day Central: Charleston Southern
Liberty Channel - Local Coverage
(WTLU regionally in Lynchburg market)
Game Will be Carried Live
Video Streaming Coverage:
Big South Network
Provided by the Flames Sports Network
Broadcast - Tip-Off:
2:06 p.m. vs. Charleston Southern
The Light (90.9 FM WWMC)
Big South regular-season champion Liberty (23-6, 15-2 Big South) will close the 2012-13 regular season Saturday at 2 p.m., when Charleston Southern (8-18, 3-14 Big South) visits the Vines Center. Liberty seniors Devon Brown, Brittany Campbell, Terika Lunsford, Tolu Omotola and LaKendra Washington will be honored prior to tipoff.
The "Starting Five" - Today's Top Storylines
1) Liberty will try to extend several streaks on Saturday. The Lady Flames have posted four straight wins over Charleston Southern, 10 consecutive victories overall and 18 straight home wins over the Lady Buccaneers.
2) With a victory on Saturday, the Lady Flames can tie the Big South record for conference victories in a season with 16. Liberty first set the record last season, going 16-2 in Big South play.
3) Liberty's first made three-pointer on Saturday will enable the Lady Flames to break the program record for made triples in a season. The existing standard of 147 three-pointers was established in 2001-02.
4) The Lady Flames are 11-2 in their final regular-season contest under head coach Carey Green. Ten of the 11 times Liberty has won its last regular-season game under Green, the Lady Flames have gone on to win the Big South Championship title.
5) Both Liberty (No. 1) and Charleston Southern (No. 10) are locked into their seeds for the Big South Women's Basketball Championship. CSU will play a first-round game on Wednesday, while the Lady Flames have earned a bye into Friday's quarterfinal round. The complete tournament bracket will be unveiled after the conclusion of Saturday's five Big South women's basketball contests.
Liberty vs. Charleston Southern At a Glance
Series Record: Liberty leads, 47-6.
Current Streak: Liberty has won four consecutive meetings.
Series Record at Liberty: Liberty leads, 23-2.
Current Streak at Liberty: Liberty has won 18 consecutive meetings.
Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 92, Charleston Southern 33 (Jan. 10, 2013 at CSU)
Last Meeting at Liberty: Liberty 77, Charleston Southern 69 (2OT) (Feb. 11, 2012)
CSU's Last Series Victory: Charleston So. 54, Liberty 51 (Feb. 28, 2011 at CSU)
CSU's Last Series Victory at Liberty: Charleston So. 65, Liberty 64 (Jan. 20, 1996)
Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green
Overall Record (Seasons): 333-109 (14th Season)
Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same
Record vs. Charleston Southern: 30-1
Charleston Southern Head Coach: Fred Applin
Overall Record (Seasons): 24-45 (Third Season)
Record at Charleston Southern (Seasons): 8-18 (First Season)
Record vs. Liberty: 1-2
Notes and Anecdotes
• Charleston Southern has struggled away from home this season, going 3-8 away from the Buc Dome. The Lady Buccaneers have also lost 18 straight contests at Liberty.
• CSU almost came away with a victory at the Vines Center last season, before falling 77-69 in double overtime on Feb. 11, 2012. Reagan Miller scored a career-high 23 points for the Lady Flames, while teammate Avery Warley added 23 rebounds. Rachelle Coward topped the Lady Buccaneers with 22 points.
• Both Liberty (No. 1) and Charleston Southern (No. 10) have clinched their respective Big South Women's Basketball Championship seeds entering the final game of the regular season.
• Saturday's contest will mark the return of Charleston Southern 6-6 redshirt junior forward Carra Coy to the Vines Center. Coy appeared in 25 games for Liberty during the 2009-10 and 2010-11 seasons.
• Lakeitha Alston is having a strong senior season for CSU, leading the team in both points (16.1 ppg) and rebounds (6.5 rpg). She passed Katie Tull for fourth place on the Lady Buccaneers' all-time scoring list on Thursday at Longwood, finishing the contest with 1,449 career points. Alston scored 20 of CSU's 33 points against Liberty on Jan. 10.
• Eight of CSU's 14 Big South losses this season have come by 10 points or fewer.
Liberty in March
All-Time Record in March: 58-41
Carey Green's Record in March: 50-16
Record This March: 0-0
Last Five March Records:
2007-08 - 4-1
2008-09 - 5-2
2009-10 - 6-1
2010-11 - 4-2
2011-12 - 4-1
We are the Champions!
With Liberty's 68-31 victory over Coastal Carolina on Thursday, the Lady Flames clinched their 14th Big South regular-season title in the last 16 years and wrapped up the No. 1 seed for the Big South Women's Basketball Championship.
Liberty will honor seniors Devon Brown, Brittany Campbell, Terika Lunsford, Tolu Omotola and LaKendra Washington prior to Saturday's game. During the past four years, the Lady Flames have gone 96-32 and made two NCAA Tournament appearances.
• The five players have combined for 3,679 points and 1,798 rebounds during their time with the Lady Flames.
There's Something about Saturday!
Liberty is 12-1 on Saturday this season and has won nine straight Saturday tilts.
A Look Back at Liberty's 68-31 Win over Coastal Carolina
• Liberty wrapped up its 14th Big South regular-season title and the No. 1 seed for the Big South Women's Basketball Championship with a dominating 68-31 victory over Coastal Carolina, Thursday evening at the Vines Center.
• The Lady Flames have now won 10 straight games overall and 40 straight matchups against the Chanticleers.
• Liberty held Coastal Carolina to an opponent season-low 31 points while posting a season-best +36 (53-17) rebound margin.
• The Lady Flames made 18 of their first 19 free throws before finishing at 81.8 percent (18-of-22), while Coastal Carolina became Liberty's first opponent since UNC Asheville on Feb. 8, 2003 to finish with zero made free throws, going 0-of-2.
• Liberty held Coastal Carolina to 29.2 percent (14-of-48) field goal shooting, extending its streak to 24 straight games keeping its opponent below 50 percent from the floor.
• Coastal went 7:10 without a point during the first half and 9:23 scoreless in the second.
• Devon Brown scored 15 of her game-high 17 points during the first half for the Lady Flames and tied for game-high honors in both rebounds (8) and steals (4) despite playing only 23 minutes. Brown moved into fourth place in Big South history with 1,908 career points.
• Ashley Rininger tied Brown for game-high rebounding honors with eight caroms while coming up with a career-best three steals.
• Sadalia Ellis played a career-high 23 minutes, totaling eight points, four rebounds and a game-high four assists.
10 in a Row
Liberty is in the midst of its longest winning streak of the 2012-13 season, at 10 games. The following are some keys to the streak.
• Tolu Omotola is leading the team in both points (14.4) and rebounds (8.3).
• At the offensive end, Liberty is shooting 35.4 percent from three-point range and dishing out 16.4 assists per game.
• All 10 opponents have scored 60 points or fewer and Liberty is yielding just 51.5 ppg.
• Liberty is outscoring opponents by an average of 39.7 to 27.4 during the second half.
Liberty is 11-2 in its final game of the regular season under head coach Carey Green.
• 10 of the 11 times the Lady Flames have won their final regular-season tilt under Green, they have gone on to win the Big South Championship. The only exception came in 2010-11.
Liberty has tied the program single-season record for three-pointers made with 147 triples and will break the record with its next trifecta.
• The existing record was set in 2001-02, when Kristal Tharp led the team with 34 triples.
The Container is Half Empty
• Liberty has played strong defense this season, limiting opponents to 33.3 percent field goal shooting. The Lady Flames have held 24 consecutive foes below 50 percent from the field, with nine of them shooting below 30 percent.
• Since the start of the 2007-08 season, only six teams have shot 50 percent against Liberty in 193 games. By way of comparison, the Lady Flames have shot 50 percent 54 times during that span.
A Winning Tradition
At 23-6, Liberty has clinched its 17th consecutive winning season. The streak started in 1996-97, the first year that the Lady Flames won the Big South Conference title.
• With its 15-2 conference record, Liberty has posted its 14th consecutive season with double-digit Big South wins.
• With one more conference victory, Liberty would tie the single-season record for Big South wins (16), which the Lady Flames set in 2011-12.
• Liberty has posted its sixth straight 20-win season and 15th 20-win campaign in the last 17 years.
• Liberty has recorded double-digit road victories for the fourth season in a row.