Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Flames to Host Army and Siena at Liberty Invitational
ARMY AT LIBERTY
SIENA AT LIBERTY
Liberty Baseball Stadium
Coverage by the Flames Sports Network
Video Stream: Friday, Saturday & Sunday
The Big South Network
Radio Broadcast: Sunday
The Light (90.9 FM WWMC)
• SERIES WITH ARMY - Liberty leads the all-time series, 4-1, since 1976.
• The last time Army and Liberty met, the Flames swept a three-game series in Lynchburg, March 7-9, 2008.
• 2008 was Liberty head coach Jim Toman's first season with the Flames.
• SERIES WITH SIENA - Liberty leads the all-time series, 3-1. The two schools meet for the first time last season in a four-games series at Worthington Stadium.
• With their win at East Carolina on Wednesday, the Flames have won five-straight contests.
• This past weekend, the Flames opened the Liberty Baseball Stadium with a three-game sweep of Penn State.
• Liberty is 87-40 (.685) all-time in the month of February. The Flames are 31-11 (.738) under head coach Jim Toman. Last season, Liberty jumped out to a 9-1 start in the month of Feb.
• C Trey Wimmer and CF Ryan Cordell each hit grand slams in Liberty's 14-4 win at East Carolina, Wednesday.
• 2B Bryan Aanderud and 3B Dalton Sype had three hits apiece at East Carolina.
• Every Liberty starter had at least one hit at East Carolina on Wednesday.
The Flames opened the new Liberty Baseball Stadium with a three-game sweep of Penn State last weekend.
C Trey Wimmer was named the Big South Player of the Week for games played Feb. 18-24. The senior went 6-for-9 (.667) during the three games against Penn State.
• Five of Wimmer's six hits went for extra bases, three doubles and two triples, for a 1.444 slugging percentage. He also drove in a team-high six runs.
Liberty relief pitchers allowed just one unearned run over 12 2/3 innings, last weekend. Three-inning appearances by RHPs Matt Marsh and Adam Parks, who each recorded wins, highlighted the effort.
A Look Back at East Carolina
• Liberty won its fifth consecutive game.
• The Flames scored six runs in the fourth inning and seven runs in the eighth.
• C Trey Wimmer and CF Ryan Cordell each hit grand slams in Liberty's 14-4 win at East Carolina, Wednesday. The slams were the first of each player's Liberty career.
• 2B Bryan Aanderud went 3-for-4 with two RBIs and two runs scored
• 3B Dalton Sype was also 3-for-4 with two RBIs and two runs scored.
• Every Liberty starter had at least one hit in the contest.
• Starting pitcher Willi Martin recorded his first collegiate win with three-plus innings of work on a staff day. Martin faced the minimum nine batters through the first three innings.
• The Flames got a strong relief effort from RHP Matt Marsh, the fourth Liberty pitcher in the contest. He pitched 2 2/3 scoreless innings, giving up one hit, while striking out a career-high five batters.
• RF Nick Paxton scored three times. He now leads the Flames with nine runs scored.