Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Basketball Home > News
WBB Game Day Central: Coastal Carolina
Liberty Channel - Local Coverage
(WTLU regionally in Lynchburg market)
Game Will be Carried Live
Video Streaming Coverage:
Big South Network
Provided by the Flames Sports Network
Broadcast - Tip-Off:
7:06 p.m. vs. Coastal Carolina
The Light (90.9 FM WWMC)
Big South-leading Liberty (22-6, 14-2 Big South) will begin the final week of the regular season by hosting Coastal Carolina (13-13, 8-8 Big South) on Thursday. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. inside the Vines Center.
The "Starting Five" - Today's Top Storylines
1) Thursday's game will be a matchup between two of the hottest teams in the Big South. The Lady Flames have won a season-best nine straight games, moving to the top of the conference standings. Meanwhile, Coastal Carolina is 6-1 in its last seven contests, improving its Big South mark from 2-7 to 8-8 in the process.
2) Quite a bit is at stake during both teams' next-to-last regular-season game. Liberty needs a victory to sew up the No. 1 seed for the Big South Women's Basketball Championship. Meanwhile, the Chanticleers could still finish anywhere between the No. 5 and 8 seed in the tournament.
3) Liberty has defeated Coastal Carolina 39 straight times, which is tied for the third-longest active winning streak against a single opponent in NCAA Division I women's basketball. The Chanticleers' most recent victory against the Lady Flames came during the 1995-96 season.
4) The Lady Flames will look to get out to another fast start on Thursday. Liberty opened the game with a 21-2 run when it played at Coastal Carolina on Jan. 12. Most recently, the Lady Flames jumped out to a 21-8 lead at Asheville last Thursday and enjoyed a 25-5 advantage to start the game at Gardner-Webb on Saturday.
5) Devon Brown enters Thursday's contest with 1,891 career points and needs three tallies to pass Campbell alum Tammy Brown for fourth place in Big South Conference history.
Liberty vs. Coastal Carolina At a Glance
Series Record: Liberty leads, 49-7.
Current Streak: Liberty has won 39 consecutive meetings.
Series Record at Liberty: Liberty leads, 21-4.
Current Streak at Liberty: Liberty has won 17 consecutive meetings.
Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 76, Coastal Carolina 48 (Jan. 12, 2013 at Coastal)
Last Meeting at Liberty: Liberty 66, Coastal Carolina 54 (Feb. 13, 2012)
Coastal's Last Series Victory: Coastal 70, Liberty 55 (Feb. 19, 1996 at Coastal)
Coastal's Last Series Victory at Liberty: Coastal 68, Liberty 62 (Jan. 22, 1996)
Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green
Overall Record (Seasons): 332-109 (14th Season)
Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same
Record vs. Coastal Carolina: 31-0
Coastal Carolina Head Coach: Alan LeForce
Overall Record (Seasons): 228-224 (16th Season)
Record at Coastal Carolina (Seasons): Same
Record vs. Liberty: 0-36
Notes and Anecdotes
• Coastal Carolina, preparing to host the Big South Women's Basketball Championship at The HTC Center next week, is one of the hottest teams in the conference right now. The Chanticleers are 6-1 in their last seven games.
• The Chanticleers have been successful in close games recently, as their last five wins have come by an average of 3.4 ppg. Coastal Carolina's last two victories have come in overtime.
• Liberty has defeated the Chanticleers 39 consecutive times since Coastal Carolina's most recent victory over the Lady Flames, on Feb. 19, 1996. That is tied for the third-longest active winning streak against a single opponent in NCAA Division I women's basketball. (The full chart may be found on the next page.)
• Coastal Carolina has been very competitive the last three times it has visited the Vines Center, losing the trio of contests by an average of 6.0 ppg.
• Liberty head coach Carey Green is quite familiar with Coastal Carolina, graduating from the school in 1977 with a bachelor's degree in marine science. He also played basketball for the Chanticleers during his time in Conway.
Liberty has won 39 consecutive games against Coastal Carolina, which is tied for the third-longest active winning streak against a single opponent in NCAA Division I women's basketball. Here is a look at the top five.
1) Stanford vs. Washington State - 53
2) UC Santa Barbara vs. Cal State Fullerton - 40
3T) Liberty vs. Coastal Carolina - 39
3T) Duke vs. Wake Forest - 39
3T) Tennessee vs. Alabama - 39
We are the Champions!
With Liberty's 55-40 victory at Gardner-Webb on Saturday, the Lady Flames clinched at least a share of their 14th Big South regular-season title in the last 16 years. Liberty can wrap up the No. 1 seed for the conference tournament with one more triumph.
• Mark Kost will serve as Coastal Carolina's acting head coach on Thursday, filling in for Alan LeForce as he also did when the two teams faced off in Conway on Jan. 12.
A Look Back at Liberty's 55-40 Win at Gardner-Webb
• Liberty recorded a 55-40 victory in a defensive struggle at Gardner-Webb on Saturday, extending its overall winning streak to nine games and its road winning skein to a new program-record 11 contests.
• The win clinched at least a share of Liberty's 14th Big South regular-season championship in the last 16 years.
• The Lady Flames opened up a 25-5 lead to start the game and never looked back.
• Liberty held Gardner-Webb to a season-low 40 points, as the Runnin' Bulldogs shot just 21.7 percent (13-of-60) from the field and 11.8 percent (2-of-17) from the three-point arc. The Lady Flames have now held 23 straight opponents below 50 percent field goal shooting.
• The Lady Flames shot a season-low 27.7 percent (13-of-47) from the floor themselves, but got to the foul line a season-best 37 times, connecting on 24 of the attempts for 64.9 percent.
• Gardner-Webb ended Liberty's run of 12 straight times outscoring its opponent in the bench points category. The Runnin' Bulldogs' reserves totaled 17 points to Liberty's 11.
• Reagan Miller led all players with a season-high 13 points.
• Teammate Brittany Campbell added 10 points, highlighted by a trio of three-pointers. Campbell has now made three or more triples in a game four times this season, and the Lady Flames are 7-0 when she scores in double figures.
• Tolu Omotola failed to score in double digits for the first time in 11 games, ending up with nine points.
• Devon Brown added nine points of her own, passing Megan Frazee for second place in program history and fifth place in Big South annals with 1,891 career points.
Nine in a Row
Liberty is in the midst of its longest winning streak of the 2012-13 season, at nine games. The following are some keys to the streak.
• Tolu Omotola is leading the team in both points (15.8) and rebounds (8.4).
• At the offensive end, Liberty is shooting 35.9 percent from three-point range and dishing out 17.0 assists per game.
• All nine opponents have scored 60 points or fewer.
• Liberty is outscoring opponents by an average of 40.0 to 28.7 during the second half.
On Saturday, Liberty established a new program record with its 11th consecutive road victory. The Lady Flames have not lost away from the Vines Center since Nov. 23 at Baylor.
• Liberty is one of 12 teams in the nation which has recorded 11 or more road victories this season.
• The Lady Flames have reached double figures in road wins for the fourth year in a row.
• Liberty finished with a 9-0 record in Big South road games, marking the Lady Flames' first time winning all of their conference road tilts since 2004-05 (7-0). That year, Liberty went on to reach the NCAA Tournament's "Sweet 16."
Rulers of the Rebounds
Liberty topped the nation in rebound margin in 2011-12, outrebounding opponents by a school-record margin of 15.6 boards per game. Liberty has ranked among the nation's top five teams for rebound margin in each of the last 10 seasons, leading the country on four occasions.
• The Lady Flames are off to a strong start on the glass again in 2012-13, ranking No. 1 nationally for rebound margin in the most recent NCAA national statistical report, at +16.0.
• The Lady Flames are on track to post their highest rebound margin in a single season. The program record is +15.6, set last season. Also, only six teams have finished with a rebound margin of +16.0 or higher in NCAA Division I women's basketball history.
A Winning Tradition
At 22-6, Liberty has clinched its 17th consecutive winning season. The streak started in 1996-97, the first year that the Lady Flames won the Big South Conference title.
• With its 14-2 conference record, Liberty has posted its 14th consecutive season with double-digit Big South wins.
• With two more conference victories, Liberty would tie the single-season record for Big South wins (16), which the Lady Flames set in 2011-12.
• Liberty has posted its sixth straight 20-win season and 15th 20-win campaign in the last 17 years.
• Liberty has recorded double-digit road victories for the fourth season in a row.