Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty Heads to the Tar Heel State for Midweek Games
LIBERTY AT ELON
Tuesday - 4 p.m.
LIBERTY AT EAST CAROLINA
Wednesday - 5 p.m.
Complete Baseball Game Notes
Coverage by the Flames Sports Network
Wimmer Selected as Big South Player of the Week for 2/18-24
• Liberty catcher Trey Wimmer was named the Big South Conference Baseball Player of the Week for games played Feb. 18-24.
• The senior hit .667 (6-for-9) with six RBI, three doubles and two triples in leading the Flames to a three-game sweep of Penn State.
• Wimmer notched a 1.444 slugging percentage and recorded an on-base percentage of .600. He also stole a base and threw out the only runner attempting to steal a base in the series.
The honor marks his first Big South Player of the Week nod for his career.
• SERIES WITH ELON: Liberty leads the all-time series, 15-9, since 1976. The Phoenix and Flames have not met since 2011. That season, Elon took two games from Liberty.
• SERIES WITH EAST CAROLINA: East Carolina leads the all-time series, 5-2. Liberty shutout East Carolina, 2-0, the last time they played on March 13, 2011 at Clark-LeClair Stadium.
• The Pirates and Flames have never met in Lynchburg. Six of the games in the all-time series have been played at Clark-LeClair and the other on a neutral field.
• The Flames opened the new Liberty Baseball Stadium with a three-game sweep of Penn State this past weekend. Not only was it the first ever games at the stadium, but also the first meeting between the Flames and Nittany Lions on the diamond.
• Liberty is 86-40 (.883) all-time in the month of February. The Flames are 30-11 (.731) under head coach Jim Toman. Last season, Liberty jumped out to a 9-1 start in the month of Feb.
• Liberty has been selected to finish on top in the Big South Conference's North Division
standings by the conference's head coaches in the league's annual preseason poll.
Looking Back at the Penn State Series
• The Flames opened the new Liberty Baseball Stadium with a three-game sweep of the
• C Trey Wimmer went 6-fo-9 (.667) during the three games. Five of his six hits went for extra bases - three doubles and two triples. He drove in a team-high six runs.
• RF Nick Paxton had four hits on the weekend. The Liberty leadoff hitter scored four runs and drove three. Two of this four hits were doubles.
• Sammy Taormina started at third base in game one of Sunday's doubleheader. He compiled his first multi-hit game with two hits and drove in a run.
Liberty relief pitchers allowed just one unearned run over 12 2/3 innings, this past weekend. Three-inning appearances by RHPs Matt Marsh and Adam Parks, who each recorded wins, highlighted the effort.
Parks earned the win in his first appearance as a Flame. Parks received a medical redshirt last season.
RHP starter Brooks Roy (1-0) recorded his first win of the season with five innings of work against Penn State, Sunday. The senior allowed one run.
• RHP Patrick Bankemper made two relief appearances this past weekend. The senior pitched two scoreless innings.
• RHP Kyle McKelvey made his first appearance as a Flame in the first game of Sunday's doubleheader. He pitched one scoreless inning.
• Liberty started the season 1-2 on the road after a three-game series at South Carolina, Feb. 15-17.
• Last season, the Flames finished the year with a 21-9 record away from Lynchburg.
• The Flames were 13-7 in road contests, while posting an 8-2 mark in neutral site games.