Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty to Host Penn State for Liberty Baseball Stadium Opening
PENN STATE AT LIBERTY
Liberty Baseball Stadium
Saturday - 1 p.m.
Sunday (DH) - Noon
Complete Baseball Game Notes
Coverage by the Flames Sports Network
Video Stream: Sunday
The Big South Network
Radio Broadcast: Sunday
The Light (90.9 FM WWMC)
Liberty Baseball Stadium - Opening Weekend
• The Flames will christen their new baseball facility this weekend -The Liberty Baseball
Stadium. It will have 2,500 chairback seats, a turf playing field, an operations center for the baseball program and a fully functional press area, when completed in June.
• It will host the Big South Baseball Championship, May 21-25.
• SERIES WITH PENN STATE: This weekend will be the first ever contests between Penn State and Liberty on the baseball diamond.
• The series will open on Saturday with a single game, followed by a doubleheader on Sunday, starting at Noon. The first game will be nine innings, while the second will be seven innings.
• The Flames have not played a team from the Big 10 since Iowa in February 2008.
• Liberty had its contest at Radford cancelled on Tuesday due to inclement weather.
• The Flames recorded 3-2 win over No. 5 South Carolina last Sunday. The Gamecocks are the highest ranked team that Liberty has ever beaten.
• Each game in the South Carolina series was decided by one run.
• Liberty is 83-40 (.675) all-time in the month of February. The Flames are 27-11 (.711) under head coach Jim Toman. Last season, Liberty jumped out to a 9-1 start in the month of Feb.
• Liberty has been selected to finish on top in the Big South Conference's North Division
standings by the conference's head coaches in the league's annual preseason poll.
• Liberty returns five position starters and 16 lettermen from last season's 41-19 team.
Cordell Named Big South Player of the Week
• Liberty outfielder Ryan Cordell was named the Big South Conference Baseball Player of the Week for games played during the opening week of the 2013 season.
• Cordell hit .462, posting six hits and a team-high five RBIs against No. 5 South Carolina this past weekend. The OF had multiple hits in all three games and highlighted the series with a pair of hits and three RBIs in game one of Sunday's doubleheader.
• The centerfielder notched extra base hits in all three contests and ripped a triple in the series finale to lead the Flames to a 3-2 win. In the three-game span, he had a .760 slugging percentage.
• It is the second Big South Player of the Week award for Cordell during his career. Last season, the outfielder was named Co-Player of the Week for games played April 10-17.
Looking Back at the South Carolina Series
• Each game of the series was decided by one run.
• South Carolina was ranked No. 5 nationally. Liberty defeated South Carolina on Sunday, 3-2, in the second game of a doubleheader. The Gamecocks are the highest ranked team that
Liberty has ever beaten.
• OF Ryan Cordell hit .462 during the weekend series. The junior had two hits in each game and posted a .462 OBA. He had a team-leading five RBIs and three extra bases hits, two doubles and one triple.
• OF Justin Sizemore hit the first Liberty home run of the season during Liberty's 3-2 win in game two of the doubleheader, Sunday. Sizemore hit .333 on the weekend.
• RHP Brooks Roy pitched five scoreless innings during his first start of the season in game one of the doubleheader, Sunday.
• RHP Trey Lambert recorded the victory in the second game of Sunday's doubleheader. RHP Ashton Perritt earned his first save in closing out the contest.