Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Basketball Home > News
MBB Game Day Central: Longwood
Game Day Central Page
Note: Includes all important Game Day links (live video, live audio, live stats, etc.)
Complete Game Notes
Coming off a narrow loss to divisional leader High Point, the Liberty men's basketball team hits the road on Tuesday, squaring off against Longwood. The Flames took the first meeting against the Big South newcomer on Jan. 22, defeating the Lancers, 74-47, in the Vines Center. Liberty will now step inside Willett Hall, where they are 0-10 all-time against Longwood. Tipoff for the Commonwealth clash is slated for 7 p.m., with the contest airing live on the Liberty Channel, MASN2, ESPN3 and ESPN Full Court.
What to Watch for
- John Caleb Sanders is having one of his best scoring stretches in his Liberty career. In the last four contests, the Sugar Land, Texas has averaged 21.8 ppg. Coming off a 23-point performance against North Division leader High Point, Sanders has now cracked the top 25 on Liberty's all-time scoring list with 850 career points. With postseason play approaching, Sanders has no intentions of slowing down now.
- In his first season at Liberty, Davon Marshall is close to etching his name in the program record books. The junior needs five more three-pointers to tie Matt Hildebrand (73) for the fifth most three-point field goals in a single season. Having made five or more three-pointers in four games, this season, Tuesday could be the night for the New York native.
- Liberty will look to bounce back at the three-point line, Tuesday. Despite leading the Big South in three-point field goal percentage (35.8), the Flames have shot 25.0 percent from downtown in the last five games. Although the Flames average about seven three-pointers per game during the season, Liberty has averaged four treys during the five-game span.
- The Flames are also hoping to make improvements on the glass. After outrebounding its opponents in four straight games (Jan. 19-29), Liberty has an average rebounding margin of -4.6 in the last five games (Feb. 2-Feb. 16).
- Liberty continues to shoot well from the free throw line. In the last seven games, Liberty has shot 80.6 percent (145-of-180). John Caleb Sanders is leading the way for the Flames during the span, shooting 88.4 percent (38-of-44) from the charity stripe.