Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Liberty Men's Tennis Falls in Norfolk
Liberty started the match quickly by capturing the doubles point. The Flames' Jarda Trojan and Chad Simpson prevailed in the No. 1 doubles match, winning by an 8-3 count. The Spartans rallied with a dominating 8-0 win in the No. 2 contest, but Liberty wrapped up the point behind Fabricio Picanco and Franco Valdez's 8-6 triumph in the final doubles competition of the match.
With Liberty taking a 1-0 lead into the singles competition, the Flames' Jarda Trojan was part of a hard-fought match in the top singles position, before eventually falling in three sets. From there, Liberty was defeated in the next three matches, prior to winning the No. 5 singles contest as new addition Valdez became a dual winner on the day. The native of Lima, Peru, defeated the Spartans' Roman Del Castillo in a three-set marathon to take the contest. However, Norfolk State closed the match by capturing the final singles match of the day.
The Flames, now 1-1 on the young season, will resume play on Feb. 10 as they play Southern Virginia. The contest is the Flames' first home match of the season and will be played indoors at the Sports Racket in Lynchburg. Match time is scheduled for 6 p.m.
1. Jarda Trojan/Chad Simpson (LU) def. Roman Del Castillo/Pavel Suchy (NSU) - 8-3
2. Keenan Ruff/Petr Krakora (NSU) def. Luis Olivera/Sebastian Pena (LU) - 8-0
3. Franco Valdez/Fabricio Picanco (LU) def. Vassil Zahariev/Bogdan Yordanov (NSU) - 8-6
1. Miroslav Vlcek (NSU) def. Jarda Trojan (LU) – 6-7, 6-3, 6-4
2. Vassil Zahariev (NSU) def. Chad Simpson (LU) – 6-4, 6-0
3. Petr Krakora (NSU) def. Juan Reyes (LU) – 6-3, 6-1
4. Pavel Suchy (NSU) def. Sebastian Pena (LU) – 7-5, 6-0
5. Franco Valdez (LU) def. Roman Del Castillo (NSU) – 7-6, 1-6, 10-7
6. Bogdan Yordanov (NSU) def. Fabricio Picanco (LU) – 6-2, 6-0