Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Basketball Home > News
WBB Game Day Central: Winthrop
Liberty Channel - Local Coverage
(WTLU regionally in Lynchburg market)
Game Will be Carried Live
Video Streaming Coverage:
Big South Network
Provided by the Flames Sports Network
Broadcast - Tip-Off:
7:06 p.m. vs. Winthrop
The Light (90.9 FM WWMC)
Big South-leading Liberty (18-6, 10-2 Big South) will return home Thursday at 7 p.m. for a Valentine's Day battle against second-place Winthrop (15-9, 9-3 Big South). The Lady Flames defeated the Eagles by a 90-57 score at Winthrop on Dec. 29.
The "Starting Five" - Today's Top Storylines
1) Liberty and Winthrop have both played well in recent weeks. The Lady Flames have won five straight games and eight of their last nine contests. Meanwhile, the Eagles tied a program record with eight consecutive victories before losing to Campbell on Saturday.
2) Which streaks will continue on Thursday and which will be broken? Liberty has won five straight games overall and 20 straight matchups against Winthrop at the Vines Center. Meanwhile, Winthrop has won six consecutive road games.
3) Liberty and Winthrop are the Big South's top two scoring teams this season. The Lady Flames rank No. 1 at 72.9 ppg and the Eagles are No. 2 at 69.1 ppg.
4) Liberty's Devon Brown (1,841 career points) and Winthrop's Dequesha McClanahan (1,486 points) are the top two active career scorers in the Big South Conference. During the teams' first meeting this season (Dec. 29), Brown scored a career-high 32 points and McClanahan countered with a season-best 27 markers.
5) The Lady Flames' Tolu Omotola is a player to watch. She has posted back-to-back double-doubles and has scored in double figures in seven straight games. Omotola has reached double digits in four of her five career matchups against Winthrop, including a career-high 24 points on Dec. 29.
Liberty vs. Winthrop At a Glance
Series Record: Liberty leads, 43-8.
Current Streak: Liberty won the most recent meeting.
Series Record at Liberty: Liberty leads, 25-1.
Current Streak at Liberty: Liberty has won 20 consecutive meetings.
Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 90, Winthrop 57 (Dec. 29, 2012 at Winthrop)
Last Meeting at Liberty: Liberty 74, Winthrop 49 (Jan. 23, 2012)
Winthrop's Last Series Victory: Winthrop 71, Liberty 69 (Feb. 18, 2012 at Winthrop)
Winthrop's Last Series Victory at Liberty: Winthrop 55, Liberty 46 (Feb. 24, 1996)
Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green
Overall Record (Seasons): 328-109 (14th Season)
Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same
Record vs. Winthrop: 29-2
Winthrop Head Coach: Kevin Cook
Overall Record (Seasons): 62-65 (Fifth Season)
Record at Winthrop (Seasons): 15-9 (First Season)
Record vs. Liberty: 0-1
Notes and Anecdotes
• Winthrop sits in second place in the Big South standings at 9-3, one game behind Liberty. The Eagles were tied for the conference lead with the Lady Flames before an 84-69 home loss to Campbell on Saturday snapped Winthrop's program record-tying eight-game winning streak.
• Liberty has posted 20 consecutive victories over Winthrop at the Vines Center, 19 of which have been by double digits. The lone exception was a 53-45 victory on March 10, 2006, in the Big South Championship semifinal round.
• Liberty and Winthrop are two of 13 teams in the nation who have recorded nine or more road victories this season (through Feb. 10). The Eagles are 9-5 on the road in 2012-13 and have notched six consecutive road triumphs.
• Devon Brown leads the Lady Flames in minutes played with 27.0/game. That would rank her seventh on the Winthrop roster, which is topped by Diana Choibekova's 35.3 minutes/game.
• Liberty's Devon Brown (8th place in Big South history, 1,841 points) and Winthrop's Dequesha McClanahan (20th place, 1,486 points) are the top two active career scorers in the conference. McClanahan is only a junior.
• Liberty (72.9 ppg) and Winthrop (69.1 ppg) rank 1-2 in the Big South in scoring.
Lighting Up the Scoreboard
Liberty scored a season-high 97 points on Saturday at Longwood, marking the fifth time that the Lady Flames have gone over the 90-point mark this season.
• This is the first time Liberty has ever recorded five 90-point games in a single season.
• At 72.9 ppg, Liberty has its highest scoring average since 1997-98 (73.8 ppg).
The Lady Flames have gotten solid production out of their non-starters this season, averaging 25.7 bench points per game.
• Liberty has tallied more bench points than its opponent in nine straight games and 12 of the last 13 contests. The Lady Flames are 16-2 this season when outscoring their opponent in bench points.
A Look Back at Liberty's 97-56 Win at Longwood
• Liberty posted a season-high point total during its 97-56 victory at Longwood on Saturday, running its road winning streak to nine games.
• The Lady Flames shot a season-high 60.3 percent (35-of-58) from the field and also shot well from three-point range (61.5 percent, 8-of-13) and the free throw line (76 percent, 19-of-25) while going over the 90-point mark for the fifth time this season.
• Liberty broke the game open with a 30-3 first-half run, holding Longwood without a made field goal for nearly 10 and a half minutes.
• The Lady Flames took over sole possession of first place in the Big South standings at 10-2.
• For the 19th consecutive game, Liberty outrebounded its opponent (54-25) and held its foe below 50 percent field goal shooting (25 percent).
• Tolu Omotola led all players with 19 points and completed her second straight double-double with 11 rebounds. She became the 10th Lady Flame ever to pull down 600 career boards.
• Katelyn Adams posted her second career double-double, equaling her career high with 13 points and grabbing 11 boards.
• Devon Brown scored 13 points, moving to within five points of Katie Feenstra for third place in program history and seventh place in Big South annals. Brown has scored 1,841 career points.
• Reagan Miller equaled her season high with 12 points, shooting 4-of-4 from beyond the three-point arc.
• Emily Frazier made it five Lady Flames in double figures, scoring 10 points, and also dished out five assists.
Five in a Row
Liberty has equaled its longest winning streak of the 2012-13 season, at five games. The following are some keys to the streak.
• Tolu Omotola is averaging a double-double (16.2 ppg, 10.0 rpg).
• Liberty is outrebounding opponents by 23.8 boards per game.
• All five opponents have scored between 56-59 points.
Racking Up the Rebounds
The Lady Flames won the rebounding battle by 29 boards (54-25) on Saturday at Longwood, continuing a recent trend of dominance on the glass within the Big South.
• Liberty has outrebounded all 12 Big South opponents this season, by an average of 20.3 boards per game.
• The Lady Flames have outrebounded 22 straight Big South foes, dating back to 2011-12.
It's Been a While
Liberty has won 20 straight games at the Vines Center against Winthrop since the Eagles' only victory at the facility, a 55-46 triumph on Feb. 24, 1996.
• That game came two days after Sadalia Ellis' second birthday. Liberty had never won a Big South title, and the loss dropped its record to 5-20 overall and 2-11 in the Big South.
Rulers of the Rebounds
Liberty topped the nation in rebound margin in 2011-12, outrebounding opponents by a school-record margin of 15.6 boards per game. Liberty has ranked among the nation's top five teams for rebound margin in each of the last 10 seasons, leading the country on four occasions.
• The Lady Flames are off to a strong start on the glass again in 2012-13, ranking No. 1 nationally for rebound margin in the most recent NCAA national statistical report, at +18.1.
• Only two teams in NCAA history have finished a season with a rebound margin larger than +18.1. Louisiana Tech ended the 1989-90 season at +18.3 and the Lady Techsters finished at +18.2 in 1995-96.
The Container is Half Full
The Lady Flames are 6-0 this season and 92-1 under head coach Carey Green when making at least 50 percent of their field goals.
The Container is Half Empty
• Liberty has played strong defense this season, limiting opponents to 33.8 percent field goal shooting. The Lady Flames have held 19 consecutive foes below 50 percent from the field, with seven of them shooting below 30 percent.
• Since the start of the 2007-08 season, only six teams have shot 50 percent against Liberty in 188 games. By way of comparison, the Lady Flames have shot 50 percent 53 times during that span.
A Winning Tradition
At 18-6, Liberty has clinched its 17th consecutive winning season. The streak started in 1996-97, the first year that the Lady Flames won the Big South Conference title.
• With its 10-2 conference record, Liberty has posted its 14th consecutive season with double-digit Big South wins.
• With two more victories, Liberty would post its sixth straight 20-win season and 15th 20-win campaign in the last 17 years.
• With one more road win, Liberty would record double-digit road victories for the fourth season in a row.