Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Basketball Home > News
Game Day Central: Campbell
Game Day Central Page
Note: Includes all important Game Day links (live video, live audio, live stats, etc.)
Complete Game Notes
After a narrow loss to Gardner-Webb over the weekend, the Liberty men's basketball team remains on the road, Wednesday, squaring off with fellow Big South North Division competitor Campbell. The Flames are seeking their first conference road win of the season, when they take on a Fighting Camels squad that has lost its last five contests. The winner of the matchup will also take possession of the lead in the all-time series, a Liberty and Camel are even at 10-10. Tipoff for the 21st meeting is slated for 7 p.m. and will air live on the Liberty Channel, MASN2 and ESPN3.
What to Watch for
- John Caleb Sanders exploded in the second half of Liberty's game against Gardner-Webb, posting 25 second half points en route to a career-high 27. Sanders' performance marks the first time a Liberty player has recorded 25 points in a single half in over four years. The Sugar Land, Texas native is now Liberty's leading scorer (12.5 ppg) this season and continues to climb the program's all-time scoring list. With three 20-point plus performances in the last six games, the junior is peaking at the right time heading into post season play.
- Liberty is excelling at the free throw line as of late. The Flames have shot 75 percent or better at the charity stripe in the last five games, owning an 82.5 free throw percentage during the span. Three Flames are shooting over 85 percent from the foul line during the five-game stretch – John Caleb Sanders (96.2, 25-of-26), Davon Marshall (95.5, 20-of-21) and Tavares Speaks (87.5, 28-of-32).
- When comparing Liberty's turnovers in conference home games to its Big Suth road contests, the Flames are currently averaging three less turnovers per game (10.4) away from the Vines Center. However, Liberty's Big South opponents are also averaging three turnovers less (8.4) when the Flames are on the road. Inside the Vines Center, Liberty is averaging 13.5 turnovers while forcing 11.5 per game against conference opponents.
- Tavares Speaks' 13-game double digit scoring streak came to an end on Saturday, as he finished with seven points. Look for the senior to bounce back on Wednesday.
- The last time Joel Vander Pol played inside Gore Arena, he walked out with a career-high 20 points. What does the 6-10 center have in store for the Fighting Camels on Wednesday?