Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Basketball Home > News
WBB Game Day Central: Longwood
Provided by the Flames Sports Network
Broadcast - Tip-Off:
2 p.m. at Longwood
The Light (90.9 FM WWMC)
Big South Network
Liberty (17-6, 9-2 Big South) will wrap up its three-game road swing Saturday at 2 p.m. with a contest at Longwood (9-14, 6-6 Big South). The Lady Flames took their first meeting with the Lancers this season by a 91-58 count, Jan. 26 at the Vines Center.
The "Starting Five" - Today's Top Storylines
1) Route 460 foes Liberty and Longwood enter Saturday's matinee heading in different directions. The Lady Flames have won four straight games and seven of their last eight contests. Meanwhile, the Lancers have dropped five consecutive contests after starting out 6-1 in their first season of Big South play.
2) Liberty needs to win to keep pace with Big South co-leader Winthrop, which hosts Campbell at 1 p.m. The Eagles will visit the Vines Center on Thursday.
3) The Lady Flames will try to extend a number of winning streaks. Liberty has won four straight games overall, seven consecutive matchups with Longwood, seven straight tilts against in-state opponents and eight road games in succession.
4) Liberty enters Saturday's game as the nation's No. 1 ranked team in rebound margin, outrebounding opponents by 17.6 boards per game. Longwood, on the other hand, owns a rebound margin of -11.7, ranking last in the Big South. Liberty outrebounded the Lancers, 56-30, during their first meeting this season.
5) Devon Brown needs 18 points to pass Katie Feenstra for third place in program history and seventh place in Big South Conference history. Brown, who enters the game with 1,828 career points, is averaging 21.3 ppg in three career matchups against Longwood. She scored 27 points during her last visit to Willett Hall, on Jan. 14, 2011.
Liberty vs. Longwood At a Glance
Series Record: Longwood leads, 15-14.
Current Streak: Liberty has won seven consecutive meetings.
Series Record at Longwood: Longwood leads, 11-2.
Current Streak at Longwood: Liberty has won two consecutive meetings.
Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 91, Longwood 58 (Jan. 26, 2013 at Liberty)
Last Meeting at Longwood: Liberty 75, Longwood 71 (Jan. 14, 2011)
Longwood's Last Series Victory: Longwood 95, Liberty 88 (Feb. 12, 1988 at Long.)
Longwood's Last Series Victory at Home: Same
Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green
Overall Record (Seasons): 327-109 (14th Season)
Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same
Record vs. Longwood: 6-0
Longwood Head Coach: Bill Reinson
Overall Record (Seasons): 22-53 (Third Season)
Record at Longwood (Seasons): Same
Record vs. Liberty: 0-2
Notes and Anecdotes
• Longwood owned the Big South lead at 6-1 on Jan. 24, but the Lancers have dropped five straight games since then. Meanwhile, Liberty has won four consecutive contests and seven of its last eight, moving into a tie for the Big South lead with Winthrop at 9-2.
• Longwood is 5-2 at home this season, and High Point became the first visiting Big South team to win at Willett Hall with a 79-72 triumph Thursday evening.
• Seven of the Lancers' nine wins this season have come after Longwood trailed at halftime.
• Longwood's Crystal Smith scored her 1,000th point on Thursday, after teammate Chelsea Coward hit the 1,000-point milestone earlier this season.
• Liberty posted a 91-58 victory over Longwood at the Vines Center on Jan. 26, led by Emily Frazier's career-high 13 assists. Devon Brown led all players with 21 points and fellow senior Brittany Campbell added a career-best 19 points.
• Devon Brown also starred in Liberty's most recent game at Willett Hall, on Jan. 14, 2011. She scored 21 of her 27 points after halftime, including a game-sealing triple with 11.3 seconds left.
• Liberty tops the Big South in rebound margin at +17.6, while Longwood is last at -11.7.
Liberty has not lost a road game since falling at Baylor on Nov. 23. Since then, the Lady Flames have reeled off eight consecutive road victories, including six Big South road wins. The following are some notes regarding Liberty's eight-game road winning streak.
• Liberty has won the eight games by an average of 22.1 ppg.
• Devon Brown is averaging 19.6 ppg during the streak.
• The Lady Flames are shooting 41.5 percent from three-point range.
• Liberty is now 90-11 in Big South road contests under head coach Carey Green.
Liberty is 5-0 versus in-state opponents this season, with wins over James Madison, Longwood, Radford, VCU and Virginia Union.
• The Lady Flames have won seven straight games against Virginia squads, dating back to last season. Liberty's last loss to a Commonwealth foe was a 66-54 setback at Richmond on Dec. 20, 2011.
The Lady Flames have gotten solid production out of their non-starters this season, averaging 24.9 bench points per game.
• Liberty has tallied more bench points than its opponent in eight straight games and 11 of the last 12 contests. The Lady Flames are 15-2 this season when outscoring their opponent in bench points.
A Look Back at Liberty's 67-59 Win at High Point
• Thanks to its most impressive comeback of the season, Liberty posted a 67-59 victory at High Point on Feb. 2.
• The Lady Flames trailed by 15 points at halftime (38-23) before taking control of the game with a 25-4 run to start the second half.
• Liberty has now won seven straight road games against High Point and eight consecutive road tilts overall this season.
• For the 18th straight game, the Lady Flames outrebounded their opponent (47-36) and held their foe to below 50 percent field goal shooting (41.1).
• After High Point shot 59.3 percent (16-of-27) during the first half, Liberty limited the Panthers to 24.1 percent (7-of-29) field goal shooting after halftime, while forcing nine turnovers.
• Tolu Omotola scored 17 of her game-high 22 points and pulled down nine of her team-leading 12 rebounds during the second half. It was her sixth double-double of the season.
• Devon Brown made four three-pointers as part of her 16-point effort. She moved into eighth place in Big South history with 1,828 career points.
• Ashley Rininger tallied seven of her 11 points and seven of her eight rebounds during the second half, highlighted by a layup with 9:12 remaining that put Liberty in front for good. She has now scored in double figures in seven of her last eight games.
• Brittany Campbell connected on all three of her three-point attempts and finished with 11 points and six rebounds while playing a career-high 33 minutes.
• Emily Frazier contributed seven points, a season-high six rebounds and 10 assists. It was her third double-digit assist effort of the season, and seven of the redshirt sophomore's helpers came after halftime.
Liberty trailed High Point by 15 points at halftime (38-23) on Feb. 2, before rallying for a 67-59 victory.
• Liberty had not recovered from a halftime deficit of 15 points or greater to win since Jan. 2, 2001. In that contest, Hampton held a 47-30 halftime advantage over the Lady Flames before Liberty roared back for an 81-76 win.
• The Lady Flames have now won four games this season after trailing by eight points or more, also including Grambling St. (Nov. 16), Radford (Dec. 1) and Longwood (Jan. 26).
There's Something about Saturday
Liberty's 67-59 win at High Point on Feb. 2 was the Lady Flames' sixth straight Saturday victory and improved the Lady Flames' Saturday record to 9-1 this season.
• Liberty is 7-0 in Big South games played on Saturday in 2012-13.
Racking Up the Rebounds
The Lady Flames won the rebounding battle by 11 boards (47-36) on Feb. 2 at High Point, continuing a recent trend of dominance on the glass within the Big South.
• Liberty has outrebounded all 11 Big South opponents this season, by an average of 19.5 boards per game.
• The Lady Flames have outrebounded 21 straight Big South foes, dating back to 2011-12.
A Winning Tradition
At 17-6, Liberty has clinched its 17th consecutive winning season. The streak started in 1996-97, the first year that the Lady Flames won the Big South Conference title.
• With three more victories, Liberty would post its sixth straight 20-win season and 15th 20-win campaign in the last 17 years.
• With two more road wins, Liberty would record double-digit road victories for the fourth season in a row.
• With one more Big South victory, Liberty would have its 14th consecutive season with double-digit Big South wins.