Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Lady Flames Drop Season Opener to Appalachian State
The Liberty women's tennis team fell in its 2013 season opener on Sunday against Appalachian State, 6-1, at the Greenbrier Resort.
The season opening loss drops the Lady Flames to 0-1, while the Mountaineers improve their record to 3-1.
"Our effort was there, but our execution was off today," commented Liberty head coach Jeff Maren. "We know what we need to do to improve and we will spend the next few weeks preparing hard for Charlotte."
Appalachian State began the contest by capturing the doubles point, taking two out of the three matches. Brittany Yang and Jessie Boda delivered the Lady Flames' doubles victory, competing in the No. 2 position. The Liberty tandem downed Clare Cox and Jennifer Ansari, 8-6.
Prior to the start of singles play, Maren was forced to make an adjustment to his lineup as Rebekah Jenkins had to be removed from the No. 2 position due to illness.
Yang continued to carry her momentum from her doubles victory and tallied Liberty's lone point of the afternoon. The sophomore defeated Ansari in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1.
Next up, the Lady Flames welcome Charlotte to Lynchburg for their 2013 home opener on Feb. 9 at 1 p.m. The match will take place at the Sports Racket, Liberty's indoor tennis facility.
Appalachian State 6, Liberty 1
1. Lindsell/Lasure (ASU) def. Sheeran/Jenkins (LU), 9-7
2. Yang/Boda (LU) def. Cox/Ansari (ASU), 8-6
3. Celi/Armellino (ASU) def. Richard/Thong, 8-6
1. Lindsell (ASU) def. Sheeran (LU), 6-4, 6-0
2. Cox (ASU) def. Richard (LU), 6-4, 6-4
3. Yang (LU) def. Ansari (ASU), 6-3, 6-1
4. Armellino (ASU) def. Wellman (LU), 6-2, 6-2
5. Thaggard (ASU) def. Thong (LU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Celi (ASU) def. Domenech (LU), 6-2, 7-5