Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Liberty Women's Tennis Sweeps Season Opener
Liberty won the doubles point 3-0, winning all three matches with relative ease. The Lady Flames' Jonita Randolph and Martyna Hanusz, selected to last season's all-Big South doubles squad, defeated Jaymee Jones and Christina Ruffin 8-3. The #2 doubles match saw Ekaterina Kuznetsova team up with freshman Daniela Dimas to win 8-2, and Liberty then completed the trifecta with a victory in #3 doubles, as Livia Branco and Amiee Wood won their matchup by an 8-3 count.
On the singles side, Liberty swept all six matches contested. Randolph won the No. 1 singles match, defeating A&T's Jones 6-2, 6-0. Kuznetsova defeated Ruffin at No. 2, prevailing by a 6-1, 6-1 count, and Hanusz won the No. 3 singles match by a 6-0, 6-1 count. The bottom half of the singles draw was no different, as Dimas, Branco, and Christine Pettit all won their matches to complete the evening's sweep.
Liberty's tennis teams resume play on Feb. 7, as both the men and women look to move to 2-0 when they travel to Norfolk, Va., to battle on the Spartans of Norfolk State. Match time is scheduled for 11 a.m.
1. Jonita Randolph/Martyna Hanusz (LU) def. Jaymee Jones/Christina Ruffin (NC A&T) - 8-3
2. Ekaterina Kuznetsova/Daniela Dimas (LU) def. Terika Palmer/Porche Martin (NC A&T) - 8-2
3. Livia Branco/Amiee Wood (LU) def. Destiny Williams/Revorn Ferguson (NC A&T) - 8-3
1. Jonita Randolph (LU) def. Jaymee Jones (NC A&T) - 6-2, 6-0
2. Ekaterina Kuznetsova (LU) def. Christina Ruffin (NC A&T) - 6-1, 6-1
3. Martyna Hanusz (LU) def. Terika Palmer (NC A&T) - 6-0, 6-1
4. Daniela Dimas (LU) def. Porche Martin (NC A&T) - 6-0, 6-0
5. Livia Branco (LU) def. Revorn Ferguson (NC A&T) - 6-0, 6-0
6. Christine Pettit (LU) def. Morgan Robinson (NC A&T) - 6-1, 6-0