Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Basketball Home > News
MBB Game Day Central: High Point
Game Day Central Page
Note: Includes all important Game Day links (live video, live audio, live stats, etc.)
After garnering its first Big South win of the season, the Liberty men's basketball team heads to High Point on Wednesday. A fellow North division foe, the Panthers are 2-1 in Big South action after holding off Gardner-Webb inside the Millis Center, Saturday, 70-64. Liberty is looking for its fifth win in six meetings against the Panthers and third straight in the Millis Center. Tipoff for the 30th meeting between the two squads is slated for 7 p.m.
What to Watch for
- If the last two games are any indication, Tomasz Gielo is garnering a bigger role in the Flames' offense. After posting 12 points at VMI, the sophomore led Liberty with a career-high 19 points on 5-of-6 shooting, including a perfect 4-of-4 from three-point land. Look for the Polish player to contribute more consistently on the offensive end for the Flames.
- Tavares Speaks' work on the defensive end cannot go unnoticed. The senior guard was given the assignment of stopping Coastal Carolina leading scorer Anthony Raffa and he did just that. Raffa finished the night with eight points after going scoreless in the first half. Speaks won't have much time to look back on his work as he prepares for his next defensive assignment at High Point.
- John Brown – no, not that one. High Point's redshirt freshman forward John Brown is turning heads, earning Big South Freshman of the Week honors four times already this season. Brown leads the Panthers with 18.4 ppg and is second on the team with 6.7 rpg. Containing the 6-7 forward could play a huge factor for the Flames' success.
- John Caleb Sanders continues to climb Liberty's all-time scoring ladder. The junior guard recently cracked the Top 40, needing 21 points to reach 700. Last season, he posted 15 tallies at the Millis Center. Could Wednesday be the night he reaches the milestone?
- Joel Vander Pol continues to provide a spark off the bench for the Flames. This past Saturday, he led Liberty with eight boards, while chipping in seven points in 16 minutes of play. Vander Pol's height advantage could play a role against the Panthers.