Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Basketball Home > News
WBB Game Day Central: Coastal Carolina
Game Day Central
Note: Includes all important Game Day links (live video, live audio, live stats, etc.)
Complete Game Notes
Liberty (12-5, 4-1 Big South) will make its first-ever visit to The HTC Center on Saturday, wrapping up its South Carolina road swing against Coastal Carolina (7-8, 2-3 Big South). Tipoff is slated for 2 p.m.
The "Starting Five" - Today's Top Storylines
1) The Lady Flames will see what they have in store for an encore after a dominating 92-33 victory at Charleston Southern on Thursday. The 59-point win marked Liberty's largest margin of victory ever in a Big South game.
2) Saturday will be Liberty's inaugural visit to The HTC Center, which will host the 2013 Big South Men's and Women's Basketball Championships in March. The Lady Flames finished with a 21-3 record at Coastal Carolina's previous home facility, Kimbel Arena. The Chanticleers have played well in their new home so far in 2012-13, going 6-2.
3) Liberty will look to continue a pair of impressive road winning streaks. The Lady Flames have won five straight road games this season and 16 consecutive road tilts at Coastal Carolina.
4) The Lady Flames have recorded 38 straight victories in the head-to-head series with Coastal Carolina, which is tied for the third-longest active winning streak against a single opponent in NCAA Division I women's basketball. Liberty head coach Carey Green, a Coastal Carolina alumnus (1979), is 30-0 against the Chanticleers during his career.
5) Devon Brown played well in Liberty's pair of wins over Coastal Carolina in 2011-12. She averaged 24.0 ppg and connected on 23 of her 24 free throw attempts against the Chanticleers.
Liberty vs. Coastal Carolina At a Glance
Series Record: Liberty leads, 48-7.
Current Streak: Liberty has won 38 consecutive meetings.
Series Record at Coastal Carolina: Liberty leads, 21-3.
Current Streak at Coastal Carolina: Liberty has won 16 consecutive meetings.
Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 66, Coastal Carolina 54 (Feb. 13, 2012 at Liberty)
Last Meeting at Coastal Carolina: Liberty 82, Coastal Carolina 45 (Jan. 14, 2012)
Coastal's Last Series Victory: Coastal 70, Liberty 55 (Feb. 19, 1996 at Coastal)
Coastal's Last Series Victory at Home: Same
Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green
Overall Record (Seasons): 322-108 (14th Season)
Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same
Record vs. Coastal Carolina: 30-0
Coastal Carolina Head Coach: Alan LeForce
Overall Record (Seasons): 222-219 (16th Season)
Record at Coastal Carolina (Seasons): Same
Record vs. Liberty: 0-35
Notes and Anecdotes
• Liberty has won 38 straight games against Coastal Carolina since the Chanticleers defeated the Lady Flames, 70-55, on Feb. 19, 1996. That is tied for the third-longest active winning streak against a single opponent in NCAA Division I women's basketball (see full chart on next page).
• Saturday's game will mark Liberty's first visit to The HTC Center, which will play host to the 2013 Big South Men's and Women's Basketball Championships in March. The Lady Flames played well at Coastal Carolina's previous home facility, Kimbel Arena, recording a 21-3 all-time record there.
• Coastal Carolina has found The HTC Center to its liking so far, posting a 6-2 record in its new 3,212-seat arena, with its lone losses coming to nationally-ranked North Carolina and High Point.
• Liberty head coach Carey Green is quite familiar with Coastal Carolina, graduating from the school in 1977 with a bachelor's degree in marine science. He also played basketball for the Chanticleers during his time in Conway.
• Devon Brown averaged 24.0 ppg in two contests against the Chanticleers last season, doing a lot of her work from the free throw line. Brown made 23 of her 24 foul shot attempts in the pair of games.
Liberty has won 38 consecutive games against Coastal Carolina, which is tied for the third-longest active winning streak against a single opponent in NCAA Division I women's basketball. Here is a look at the top five.
1) Stanford vs. Washington State - 53
2) UC Santa Barbara vs. Cal State Fullerton - 39
3T) Liberty vs. Coastal Carolina & Tennessee vs. Alabama - 38
5) Duke vs. Wake Forest - 37
Since losing at No. 3/3 Baylor on Nov. 23, Liberty has won five consecutive road games, improving to 5-3 on the road this season.
• The Lady Flames are 3-0 in Big South away games this year, after going 9-1 on the road against conference foes in 2011-12. Under head coach Carey Green, Liberty is 87-11 in Big South Conference away contests.
• Liberty is aiming to record double-digit road victories for the fourth consecutive season.
• Devon Brown has been at her best on the road this year, averaging 21.4 ppg.
Party in the Palmetto State
Liberty has fared well in Big South games played in South Carolina under head coach Carey Green, going 42-3 on the road against Charleston Southern, Coastal Carolina, Presbyterian College and Winthrop. The Lady Flames are 2-0 in such contests this season, with victories at Charleston Southern and Winthrop.
A Look Back at Liberty's 92-33 Win at Charleston Southern
• Liberty posted its fifth consecutive road victory in dominating fashion, notching a 92-33 win at Charleston Southern on Thursday.
• The 59-point win was the Lady Flames' largest margin of victory ever in a Big South game and their most sizeable victory in any contest since a 100-29 triumph over Virginia Union on Nov. 30, 2007.
• Liberty held the Lady Buccaneers scoreless for the final 11:09 of the game, closing the contest with a 27-0 run.
• The Lady Flames set season highs for field goal percentage (53.6, 37-of-69) and three-point field goal percentage (63.6, 7-of-11).
• Liberty scored 90 points for the third time in the last six games.
• Liberty's +35 rebound margin (58-23) tied a season high and their 12 blocked shots were the team's most since a 12-block game against Columbia Union on Nov. 16, 2006.
• For the 12th straight game, the Lady Flames held their opponent below 50 percent field goal shooting. CSU hit just 19 percent (11-of-58) of its field goal tries on the night.
• Brittany Campbell scored a career-high 14 points, making all six of her field goal attempts, including a pair of three-pointers.
• Ashley Rininger fashioned her first career double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds. She also blocked a career-high five shots, which was the most by any Lady Flame since Katie Feenstra rejected six Winthrop shot attempts on Feb. 28, 2005.
• Jasmine Gardner (13 points) and Devon Brown (12 points) also scored in double figures for Liberty. Brown passed Sharon Wilkerson for fourth place in Liberty history and 10th place in Big South history, ending the night with 1,737 career points.
• Tolu Omotola tied Rininger for game-high rebounding honors with 10 boards. Omotola has pulled down double-digit rebounds in four of her last six outings.
Wide Margin of Victory
Liberty defeated Charleston Southern by 59 points on Thursday, 92-33.
• It was the Lady Flames' largest margin of victory in a Big South Conference game in program history.
• It marked Liberty's most sizeable win in any game since a 100-29 triumph over Virginia Union on Nov. 30, 2007.
The Lady Flames blocked 12 Charleston Southern shots on Thursday, marking their most blocks in a game since turning away 12 Columbia Union shots on Nov. 16, 2006. It was one shy of the program Division I record of 13 blocks, set against Elon on Jan. 28, 2003.
The Container is Half Full
The Lady Flames are 4-0 this season and 90-1 under head coach Carey Green when making at least 50 percent of their field goals.
The Container is Half Empty
• Liberty has played strong defense this season, limiting opponents to 34.0 percent field goal shooting. The Lady Flames have held 12 consecutive foes below 50 percent from the field, with five of them shooting below 30 percent.
• Since the start of the 2007-08 season, only six teams have shot 50 percent against Liberty in 181 games. By way of comparison, the Lady Flames have shot 50 percent 51 times during that span.