Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Basketball Home > News
MBB Game Day Central: Western Carolina
Game Day Central Page
Note: Includes all important Game Day links (live video, live audio, live stats, etc.)
Complete Game Notes
Fresh off its highest scoring game of the season, the Liberty men's basketball team returns to action on Monday against Southern Conference member Western Carolina. The matchup marks the third meeting all-time between the two squads, with the series currently knotted at 1-1. Liberty looks to take the lead in the series while playing on New Year's Eve for the third straight season. Tipoff inside the Liston B. Ramsey Center is slated for 2 p.m.
What to Watch for
- After the announcement that Antwan Burrus would apply for a medical redshirt, Liberty's big men stepped up in a big way on Friday. JR Coronado, Andrew Smith and Joel Vander Pol each had career nights in Liberty's first 100-point game in nearly two years. Look for the Flames' post players to continue to become more comfortable as they take on more responsibility inside.
- With just one game left before conference play begins, Davon Marshall is settling in at the point guard position. This past Friday, Marshall finished with 14 points while adding a season-high nine assists.
- Since seeing a 25-game starting streak snapped, Tavares Speaks has come off the bench in the last three games. The senior guard has averaged 12.0 ppg during the span.
- On paper, the Flames and the Catamounts are similar in a number of statistical categories. In particular, both teams average over seven three-pointers per game, while holding opponents to under 29 percent from three-point land.
- A key to the Flames' success will be trying to contain redshirt junior Trey Sumler. The Rocky Mount, N.C., native leads the Catamounts in points (16.3 ppg), assists (3.9 apg) and steals (1.8 spg). Along with being a key distributor for the Catamounts, Sumler is highly efficient from the three-point arc (42.0 percent) and the free throw line (79.6 percent).