Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Basketball Home > News
MBB Game Day Central: Union College
Game Day Central Page
Note: Includes all important Game Day links (live video, live audio, live stats, etc.)
What To Watch For
- John Caleb Sanders is returning to form as a primary scorer for Liberty. After averaging 7.5 ppg in the first eight contests, the junior has come on strong in the last four games, averaging 15.3 ppg during the span. Highlighting the recent scoring surge is Sanders' 24-point performance against Milligan, last Friday. The question is – what will Sanders' do for an encore against the Bulldogs?
- Since his 25-point performance against Georgia State on Dec. 2, Davon Marshall has been a little quieter in the scoring department, averaging 8.8 ppg in the four games since. However, the junior's assist numbers appear to be going up. In the first eight games, Marshall dished out a total of 22 dimes. In the last four games, he has accumulated 19. Look for Marshall to continue to come into his own at the No. 1 spot, creating shots for himself and others.
- After receiving the start 25 straight times dating back to last season, Tavares Speaks has come off the bench in the last two contests, averaging 11.0 ppg in the pair of contests.
News and Notes from Liberty's game versus Milligan
- The evening marked a career-high night for John Caleb Sanders, as the junior finished with 24 points. Needing just seven points to reach 600 for his Liberty career, he did so four and a half minutes into the contest and did not look back en route to his career-best scoring performance. Sanders' 24 tallies is also the second-highest point total by a Flame this season.
- Along with Sanders, Davon Marshall and Tavares Speaks each chipped in 13 points for Liberty.
- Liberty shot 41.5 percent (27-of-65) for the contest, including 38.1 percent (8-of-21) from three-point land. The Flames finished with season highs in points, rebounds (54) and blocks (7). Milligan finished the night shooting 36.1 percent (22-of-61).
Liberty vs. Union College Series History
Series Record: Liberty leads 1-0
Current Streak: Liberty won the most recent meeting
Previous Meeting: Liberty 84, Union College 47
Liberty Head Coach: Dale Layer
Overall Record (Seasons): 320-250 (20th season)
Record at Liberty (Seasons): 50-57 (Fourth season)
Record vs. Union College: 1-0
Union College Head Coach: Kevin Burton
Overall Record: 146-81 (Eighth season)
Record at Union College: 7-6
Record vs. Liberty: 0-0
- Liberty's previous meeting against Union College occurred on the exact same date two years ago (Dec. 28, 2010).
- The Flames blocked 10 shots last time against the Bulldogs. The mark is tied for third all-time in program history and is one of two games in which Liberty has finished a contest with double digits in blocked shots since the turn of the century.
- Liberty enters Friday's contest with a 23-8 record all-time against current members of the Appalachian Athletic Conference (AAC). The Flames are 9-6 against Bluefield, 2-2 against Bryan, 7-0 against Montreat, 1-0 against Milligan 1-0 against Union College and 3-0 against Virginia Intermont.
- Union College head coach Kevin Burton received his master's in sports administration from Eastern Kentucky. Coincidentally, Dale Layer also earned his master's degree in counseling at Eastern Kentucky while serving as a graduate assistant there (1982-83).
- According to the latest NCAA National Rankings Summary, Davon Marshall is 39th in the country in three-point field goals per game (2.8) and 44th in three-point field goal percentage (41.8). Marshall is also first and second in the conference in the respective categories.
- JR Coronado is third in the conference in rebounding, grabbing 8.5 boards per game. Coronado recently garnered Liberty's only double-double of the season, when he finished with 11 points and 14 rebounds at Iona.
- While the Flames are shooting well from the perimeter, the paint has not been as kind. Liberty is currently being outscored in the paint by opponents, 372-237.